Imagine a world without advertising executives

Go to a library for the book? Go to a bookshop? Presumably you don't need a library advert to find the library, or a bookshop advert to find the bookshop?

For a Samsung, you'd be better off going online and reading some reviews.

Realise that we currently live in a world where marketing is so pervasive that most people are only aware of the top veneer of it.

Banning the companies responsible for it will not just be a 'change'- it will require a paradigm shift.

To predict exactly how things will be done post a paradigm shift, is virtually impossible.

(Although clearly, post the ban, companies currently putting 10-40% of their profit into marketing, just to stay afloat, will not need to do so, along with all the other social benefits previously mentioned, including that vast amount of money being potentially redirectable to health and social causes).

As we see on this thread, some people genuinely believe that information only comes from adverts. That is not true.

No I would not know the bookshop exists would I because it would not have advertised or 'marketed' so how would I know it is on the market?

As for reviews on the Samsung, how would there be reviews if no one knows it exists?

My recommendation is simple, a fully funded, robust Inland Revenue with a clear remit - that if people want to live in the UK then they pay their taxes. If companies want to trade in the UK they pay their taxes too! These revenues shall be dedicated to public goods, above all - healthcare for all, education for all, care for any and everyone who has the misfortune to be ill, those with disabilities, the elderly; pensions and benefits, aid for emergencies anywhere, at home or abroad. I advocate a country that cares for all its citizens rather than the present horror - the cynical abuse of state power to further enrich the wealthy at the expense of the disabled, school children, the elderly!
Missed that earlier, and I see that you've chosen to answer a question which I did not ask :(

So, to go back to my question:

So, a question now if you permit, to help me answer your own question in your OP: who proposes what in that respect at the GE, and what is your recommendation?
which party do you recommend, that is offering your "fully funded, robust Inland Revenue with a clear remit"?

This whole thread is people who live and work in the real world spoon feeding the purpose of marketing to those that have no idea how to sell a product.

'Level playing field' - what nonsense, how do you expect to sell something if you can't get the message out to the consumer?

Edit:

Oh wait, it's a Staunton thread; there would be no private enterprise in his utopia and everything is manufactured by the state. Only one brand of everything would be available. Shoes, phones, cars, chairs, bread etc. You wouldn't need marketing then, as there is no need for it.

Edited by the_bloke

This whole thread is people who live and work in the real world spoon feeding the purpose of marketing to those that have no idea how to sell a product.

'Level playing field' - what nonsense, how do you expect to sell something if you can't get the message out to the consumer?

Let's suppose the ban occurred.

Do you think production of goods and services, and, the buying of said goods and services, would cease?

Of course not, buying would continue- people need food, clothes, phones and computers.

Let's suppose the ban occurred.

Do you think production of goods and services, and, the buying of said goods and services, would cease?

Of course not, buying would continue- people need food, clothes, phones and computers.

Company makes a new model of phone, with a game changing feature. They can't market it, as marketing is banned. However they need to charge more money for it to recover R&D costs.

How do they get people to buy it?

Edit:

Oh wait, it's a Staunton thread; there would be no private enterprise in his utopia and everything is manufactured by the state. Only one brand of everything would be available. Shoes, phones, cars, chairs, bread etc. You wouldn't need marketing then, as there is no need for it.

For some reason I'm reminded of this...

the Ministry of Plenty's forecast had estimated the output of boots for the quarter at one-hundred-and-forty-five million pairs. The actual output was given as sixty-two millions. Winston, however, in rewriting the forecast, marked the figure down to fifty-seven millions, so as to allow for the usual claim that the quota had been overfulfilled. In any case, sixty-two millions was no nearer the truth than fifty-seven millions, or than one-hundred-and-forty-five millions. Very likely no boots had been produced at all. Likelier still, nobody knew how many had been produced, much less cared. All one knew was that every quarter astronomical numbers of boots were produced on paper, while perhaps half the population of Oceania went barefoot.

(1984 - Orwell for those whove not read it)

What feature does it have?

My post was deleted (?) so I'll repeat; the feature it has is irrelevant to the discussion. How do you sell it without marketing? How do you even know what you target market is without marketing? How do you get customer feedback without marketing? Do you just hope someone buys it on a whim?

My post was deleted (?) so I'll repeat; the feature it has is irrelevant to the discussion. How do you sell it without marketing? How do you even know what you target market is without marketing? How do you get customer feedback without marketing? Do you just hope someone buys it on a whim?

Depends which meaning of 'sell' you're referring to. There are 3 common definitions-

1. give or hand over (something) in exchange for money

2. persuade someone of the merits of

3. trick or deceive (someone)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sell

in the old days, definition 1 was prevelant. Obviously, in this modern age where marketing is king, it's more about 2, and, sadly 3.

As we're talking about a world where marketing has been banned, it'll be more about the first definition, with a bit of the second.

However, given the multiple meanings of 'sell' and the high risk of confusion given that, if marketing is banned, the meaning of 'sell' is quite literally not the same as it's current meaning, I'll look at it from the opposite direction.

i.e. how will someone buy whatever high tech device they desire? How will they choose which particular model to buy?

The answer is of course, tech review magazines/online sites.

(or one answer- obviously things like 'word of mouth' are relevant)

Which is how some of us already make our decisions, certainly, I do.

The challenge presently, is that of discerning the genuine objective review sites from those that are masquarading as such, but, in reality, are fronts for the manufacturers, and, consequently, give less honest reviews.

A ban on marketing should assist greatly with that problem.

And, of course, it's not just about tech items. People need things like food, clothes etc. Those things will also continue to be bought- marketing and advertising are not necessary for people to buy them, hence, neither marketing/advertising necessary for others to sell them.