Imagine a world without advertising executives

Then it's a matter of seeing what happens when marketing companies are banned..

Post#68

Still waiting for these answers that you need to address to carry the argument. How are people expected to find out about new things?

Advertising is nothing more than a textbook to learn about life. Schools teach you about how say an internal combustion engine works but how would you learn of the existence of a Land Rover, or a Triumph or a Ford with their particular uses. Are we going to expect people to flag down everyone and ask what car they drive and where to get it from? (because no makers marques on the front under no advertising rules.)

Then it's a matter of seeing what happens when marketing companies are banned.

The highly successful bans on tobacco advertising, followed by bans on smoking in public, came in, as these things do, in stages.

If removing the marketing companies isn't sufficient, then ban adverts.

But, given that a world without marketing companies will be so different to the current one, it's totally impossible to predict how well it will work- it may be that the improvements are so great that most of the population start to see just how damaging marketing and advertising have been to society and human progress. In which case, advertising may become very unpopular without the need for legislation.

To ban advertising would mean drafting a law. In it, the Government would have to define the difference between marketing, advertising and the "posting of notices" and perhaps the "unlawful communication of prohibited information".

If I presented to you a recommendation of a product or service that I could offer, would I be breaking this law?

Edited by carosio

To ban advertising would mean drafting a law. In it, the Government would have to define the difference between marketing, advertising and the "posting of notices" and perhaps the "unlawful communication of prohibited information".

Yes, they would. It's a problem with drafting any law. Some things will also slip through the net, others will be overly restricted. Nevertheless, despite things rarely being straightforward or easy, laws are implemented.

If I presented to you a recommendation of a product or service that I could offer, would I be breaking this law?

That would depend entirely on the wording of whatever laws were brought in.

However, like I said above, banning advertising per se would only happen, if and after banning marketing companies had taken place.

After that, it would be much clearer what, if anything needed to be done in terms of legislation about advertising.

Edited by onewheeldave

Nearly all websites (including the NHS) will then be shut down as these are a form of marketing/advertising, as well as removing leaflets in doctors' surgeries and chemists, unless a form of self-promotion is allowed without actually engaging a marketing company?

Edited by carosio

Yes, they would. It's a problem with drafting any law. Some things will also slip through the net, others will be overly restricted. Nevertheless, despite things rarely being straightforward or easy, laws are implemented.

That would depend entirely on the wording of whatever laws were brought in.

However, like I said above, banning advertising per se would only happen, if and after banning marketing companies had taken place.

After that, it would be much clearer what, if anything needed to be done in terms of legislation about advertising.

What sort of legislation were you thinking of?

Nearly all websites (including the NHS) will then be shut down as these are a form of marketing/advertising, as well as removing leaflets in doctors' surgeries and chemists, unless a form of self-promotion is allowed without actually engaging a marketing company?

As you said before-

So NHS websites will not be shut down, unless they carry what the law defines as advertising/marketing (in which case, the illegal content would be removed).

Some leaflets will be removed from surgeries, as a lot of them are blatant advertising.

Once again though, I'll point out that a ban on marketing companies will obviously precede an ban on advertising per se, and, it may well turn out that shutting down the marketing companies will make an advertising ban unnecessary.