NHS hit by cyberattack

You can take politics out of the equation.

Each NHS trust pays directors, including IT Directors a small fortune.

They have to acknowledge their incompetence.

Regardless of this sudden expanse of ransomware, it can only infect through negligence.

very well said

Regardless of this sudden expanse of ransomware, it can only infect through negligence.

probably corporate inertia takes a long time to test and deploy patches esp. if the systems has to remain 100% stable and running 24/7.

other systems like mri scanners with xp os probably wont be supported by the vendor if the software is tampered with.

I could be wrong though.

obviously its the governments fault that this attack is being felt in other countries too

Er no....it happened in other countries to systems that hadn't been upgraded as well.

---------- Post added 13-05-2017 at 23:17 ----------

True about tories and budget. However Nissan computers also had same problem, its said hundred countries seen this cryptopoop.

Bottom line: if Nissans supply chain or production line gets disrupted for a few hours nobody is going to die. The NHS losing systems on the other hand......

probably corporate inertia takes a long time to test and deploy patches esp. if the systems has to remain 100% stable and running 24/7.

other systems like mri scanners with xp os probably wont be supported by the vendor if the software is tampered with.

I could be wrong though.

It is not an issue of inertia. I am tired of incompetence being excused.

Especially incompetence that I pay for.

XP or not, network systems can be set up to prevent and/or minimise infection from the opening of email attachments.

Back ups can negate the effect.

Edited by cgksheff

Exactly this. I've worked with the installation and validation of software on Windows machines in hospitals in the UK as well as abroad and the NHS left a lot to be desired. In one London hospital I actually had to inform their IT that I refused to touch some of their workstations after one of them tried to infect my own service laptop via my USB stick I'd had in their machine previously. They asked me if I could reschedule the install for a few weeks, at which point I told them they would be charged double so it was in their own interest to get it sorted there and then. Which they did after lunch.

It is not an issue of inertia. I am tired of incompetence being excused.

Especially incompetence that I pay for.

XP or not, network systems can be set up to prevent and/or minimise infection from the opening of email attachments.

Back ups can negate the effect.

It's not just the incompetence excuse. It's the argument that because it happened in other countries it's ok for it to happen to our NHS that is annoying.

The NHS is providing 90% of health care and the stability of the systems affects our care and our personal data, which is held on NHS systems for practically all UK citizens.

That can't just be dismissed because it happened elsewhere.

Further, the Leave campaign made promises about NHS funding. Now we are being told the NHS will have funding cuts. I can guarantee that nowhere within spending plans going forward would IT have been prioritised. Not a chance.

Another Tory NHS screw-up. Nothing less.

no it wouldnt..

Every party is different, just like religions are different, it is all a believe in something that is usually untrue and covers lies.

People who believe also dream of miracles. I don't support labour or tories both sides have problems. You spend the money you get this problem you don't spent the money you get that problem. Money is a lose lose situation.

Microsoft have issued a patchs for Xp, Vista, Servers2003/8

I dragged out an old laptop with Xp, that hadn't been run for a few years. Although it connected M$ update site after several hours I abandoned

any hope of getting it from there.

The following link provides patches from the M$ catalogue, make sure you choose the correct one, download and install manually, restart.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=4012598