Businesses in Firth Park

I used to shop at Firth park several times a week now its very rarely, if you dont want a charity shop, fill your freezer or get a take away there is really very little left to go for, such a shame it used to be a great little shopping centre...times change!

and put a bet on.

If / when Ron's dies then it's time to worry.

In fairness, I expect they'll "modernise" Firth Park somewhat. It's always surprised me how there's never been a KFC / Subway of a kind around there.

There used to be a KFC on Stubbin Lane.

When I was young, going to Firth Park with mum was great with all the different shops (Kenyons toy shop was my obvious favourite). I still drive through regularly but it saddens me to see how it is now, personally I think making it into a one way system didn't helped.

Edited by AMR67

If / when Ron's dies then it's time to worry.

In fairness, I expect they'll "modernise" Firth Park somewhat. It's always surprised me how there's never been a KFC / Subway of a kind around there.

I remember when it had a Kenya Fried Chicken run by old poppat!

The shops mirror the people that are moving into and out of the area

The shops mirror the economic situation of the people in the area and unfortunately as one of the poorest areas in the whole of England with a high proportion of people claiming social security to top up low or non-existent wages that only means that the area has gone backwards as the Government have targeted benefit claimants for their cuts above almost everyone else for the last 7 years.

And that's why there are so many takeaways, betting shops, charity shops and discount food stores in areas of poverty, because cheap meals and clothes are often all that can be afforded and gambling businesses know that desperate people are often the easiest to ensnare in their get-rich-quick dreams.

The shops mirror the economic situation of the people in the area and unfortunately as one of the poorest areas in the whole of England with a high proportion of people claiming social security to top up low or non-existent wages that only means that the area has gone backwards as the Government have targeted benefit claimants for their cuts above almost everyone else for the last 7 years.

And that's why there are so many takeaways, betting shops, charity shops and discount food stores in areas of poverty, because cheap meals and clothes are often all that can be afforded and gambling businesses know that desperate people are often the easiest to ensnare in their get-rich-quick dreams.

You are right the government hit the poorest which has the knock on effect like you have stated on the local economy . The area dies a slow death long established business close their doors forever and discount based business replace them .