Asda stopping selling loose fruit and veg.

Will you still use Asda or change supermarkets?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still use Asda or change supermarkets?

• Yes will change, I don't like wasting food.
    • No the veg is cheap enough to throw excess away.
    • Will still use Asda but go elsewhere for fruit and veg.

...I have seen situations where the bagged have been cheaper...

Sweet red/green peppers, for example: 50p each, loose, or 99p for a pack of three. Although:

... which leads me on to the removal of weighing scales that used to allow you to compare prices.

That bugs me a bit too.

Topically, I baked some banana bread yesterday evening, using a couple of left over squidgy ones.

A case in point. ASDA now charge 57p for a string bag of three onions all roughly the same size. I took one out and scanned it separately and it was 11p. So basically they are charging an extra 24p for the packaging

After being an Asda customer for years, mainly because when we first moved they were the only people who delivered to us, and therefore out of sheer laziness as it had learnt my favourites and so on, we have recently switched and so happy we did. Asda quality has been awful for the last year or so, noticeably poor fruit and veg and the availability of anything not basic is bad too. Also their online store is becoming worse and worse. You search for lemons and it can't find them, yet if you navigate to the specific shelf, there they are!

So it's not just this that's driving my move from them, but this adds to the ever growing list of why Asda is rapidly going downhill.

Now to decide between Sainsburys and Morrisons...sadly can't get Waitrose out my way ;)

A case in point. ASDA now charge 57p for a string bag of three onions all roughly the same size. I took one out and scanned it separately and it was 11p. So basically they are charging an extra 24p for the packaging

That may not be the reason why they are more expensive.

When I checked earlier the onions in the bag had the country of origin marked as English and the loose ones marked as Dutch. I always look as I prefer to buy English onions.

---------- Post added 17-05-2017 at 16:52 ----------

Now to decide between Sainsburys and Morrisons...sadly can't get Waitrose out my way ;)

After walking round the Moor Market and looking at the poor quality of a lot of fruit and some veg as well I must admit that I pop over the way and get most of what I want from Sainsburys. Very little difference in price too.

That may not be the reason why they are more expensive.

When I checked earlier the onions in the bag had the country of origin marked as English and the loose ones marked as Dutch. I always look as I prefer to buy English onions.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... are you sure the Dutch ones weren't tulip bulbs? :suspect:

• 1 year later...

reviving an oldish thread, went to Asda handsworth today - A 12 pack of oxo cubes £1.00 ----A 24 pack of oxo cubes £2.59. Do they really think we're that thick, the 12 pack wasn't on offer either.

reviving an oldish thread, went to Asda handsworth today - A 12 pack of oxo cubes £1.00 ----A 24 pack of oxo cubes £2.59. Do they really think we're that thick, the 12 pack wasn't on offer either.

No, just unobservant.