Can we choose our thoughts?

Your understanding of physical processes is the result of thoughts you choose to think. Also, you talk about 2 different entities; 'you' (as in the possesor of) and 'your thoughts'.

Are you saying there is no 'you'?

---------- Post added 16-05-2017 at 10:40 ----------

I think the unproductive rubbish is unfinished business. I don't mind but why does it always bug you when you want to go to sleep?

Maybe too much mental activity late at night? Never helps!

What I try to do is to focus on nice thoughts, usually in the form of an imaginary achievement, such as me being a super star footballer who scores the winning goal in the cup final, or me being a brilliant guitarist in a hard rock band. Childish I know, but it is helpful as a distraction device.

Your understanding of physical processes ...

Whether or not I understand them is irrelevant. The universe has been applying them since before "understanding" existed.

... is the result of thoughts you choose to think.

Nope.

I don't choose to think them. See post 3, above.

Are you saying there is no 'you'?

No.

Have a read of this and this.

Edited by Lockjaw

nope.

the universe has not been applying the laws of physics, it (the laws of physics, and also your understanding of them) is the universe. it's only your mind that is breaking these up in to seperate entities.

'you' are choosing to think about all the points you raise. you can prove this to yourslef by choosibg to think about sometting else.

---------- Post added 16-05-2017 at 11:55 ----------

What I try to do is to focus on nice thoughts, usually in the form of an imaginary achievement, such as me being a super star footballer who scores the winning goal in the cup final, or me being a brilliant guitarist in a hard rock band. Childish I know, but it is helpful as a distraction device.

If that puts you in touch with what you most what to do, what reonates with you, isn't that a good thing, childish or not?

nope.

the universe has not been applying the laws of physics, it (the laws of physics, and also your understanding of them) is the universe. it's only your mind that is breaking these up in to seperate entities.

Whatever my mind does or doesn't do, and however those laws are defined or not, the universe operates them.

'you' are choosing to think about all the points you raise. you can prove this to yourslef by choosibg to think about sometting else.

No. Choice is an illusion.

The particles which make up my synapses, blood cells, neural pathways and everything else are subject to the laws of physics, whether we define them as such or not. Did you read the links I supplied?

nope.

---------- Post added 16-05-2017 at 11:55 ----------

If that puts you in touch with what you most what to do, what reonates with you, isn't that a good thing, childish or not?

Yes it is. Day dreaming in boring committee meetings is also a useful mental device.