Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

On the approach to the roundabout, the lane arrows clearly state that the left hand approach lane is straight on for Rotherham (as well as left turn along the bottom deck).

ergo, on the way into the roundabout he was in the correct lane; see my earlier post for the changes in the way the road lanes were marked out a few years ago.

At one time the left hand approach lane used to left only, but that gave no sensible way to go straight on to Rotherham. The trouble is that there are 2 different straight on routes, Rotherham, and Meadowbank Rd.

Previously there seemed to be 2 left turns, bottom deck and Rotherham, with just one straight on up Meadowbank.

And those arrows are wholly irrelevant. For a start they are on effectivly a seperate road behind a give way line, and its perfectly possible for the black car to get where he is without even crossing over those markings.

And those arrows are wholly irrelevant. For a start they are on effectivly a seperate road behind a give way line, and its perfectly possible for the black car to get where he is without even crossing over those markings.

And this Ian the reason we have so many accidents on the roads.... So why you're saying is just ignore the lane markings and drive in which ever lane you want?

Some people really make my blood boil!

Seri oALt cant believe how many thick people there actually are out there and now I know why there is so many accidents!

I'm so glad that as a thick person with a police driving qualification or two and IAM membership as well that you've pointed this fact out... :roll:

White car is at fault for changing lanes. Thats the crux of it.

Are you being serious? The lane markings on the approach to the roundabout clearly state left lane for left and ahead only.

The approach markings are irrelevant. The black car could easily have come from further round the roundabout.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 08:59 ----------

And this Ian the reason we have so many accidents on the roads.... So why you're saying is just ignore the lane markings and drive in which ever lane you want?

Some people really make my blood boil!

Stop trying to put words into my mouth it's only going to make you look foolish :D

I'm so glad that as a thick person with a police driving qualification or two and IAM membership as well that you've pointed this fact out... :roll:

White car is at fault for changing lanes. Thats the crux of it.

The approach markings are irrelevant. The black car could easily have come from further round the roundabout.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 08:59 ----------

Stop trying to put words into my mouth it's only going to make you look foolish :D

Qualifications mean nothing. Hazard perception and awareness are key. And as for coming around the roundabout that is exactly why the markings are like that. But coming from Sheffield Road where the white and black car have come from - on a traffic signal controlled roundabout, the lanes work perfectly fine.

The black car chances it and was unlucky in this instance. I suggest you pay a visit to the roundabout and see for yourself how the traffic flow works and lane markings are arranged.

White car is totally innocent and not at fault. Followed the road markings and lane markings correctly.

Never realised there was date stamps on Google maps!

So one on google earth shows 2017 but the one posted by myself and others using street view is August 2016.

So I would say that up to August last year the white car was correct.

If the black or is it blue :hihi: car was heading under the viaduct then I think both would be in the wrong if it happened now.

Never realised there was date stamps on Google maps!

So one on google earth shows 2017 but the one posted by myself and others using street view is August 2016.

So I would say that up to August last year the white car was correct.

If the black or is it blue :hihi: car was heading under the viaduct then I think both would be in the wrong if it happened now.

Road layout still the same as of yesterday - use this Road daily myself and left lane still signed for M1N and R'ham ??

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 09:08 ----------

To clear something up in an easy to understand way...

Left lane: M1N and R'ham (A6178)

Middle lane: B'wtry (A631) and M1S

Right lane: M1S and Shepcote Lane

All clearly signed and posted well in advance of the roundabout...

It's not Meadowbank Rd, it's Bawtry Rd. I think Meadowbank Rd is off the roundabout at the other end of the viaduct.

But your right about the black car being at fault.

Apologies, you're quite correct, I'll see if I can amend my post; clearly typing too late at night.

The road markings are totally inappropriate for the layout of the junction - the l/h lane needs to left turn M1N only - otherwise you have 3 lanes on the approach that are straight on (Bawtry) or right (M1S) - going down to two on the roundabout

It used to be left turn only from the left hand lane, but they changed it to left and straight ahead several years ago.

When it was left turn only, I used to approach in the second lane, and then lane swap into the left lane when under the viaduct, ready to enter Rotherham Road (towards Magna). It was never satisfactory. I reckon they were right to change it.

Edit. Sorry, I have only just read this thread and commented as I saw a post. I hadn't realised that the change to road markings had already been covered.

Had this been a "normal" roundabout, and had the black car been coming from Shepcote Lane or beyond, then the white car would have been at fault for not giving way to a car already on the roundabout. However, as the approach to the roundabout is light controlled and both cars were arriving from Sheffield, then the fault is with the black car for changing lanes into the lane already occupied by the white car. So he should have given way to the white car.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Had it done so, it would have had to have gone through a red light, as the roundabout is light controlled.

If a car had come from a previous entry to the roundabout, their middle lane would have been road arrowed to the right hand lane of the bottom deck, and potentially T-boned the white car, but it's under traffic light control, so there should have been no moving traffic in front of them. i.e. the white car shouldn't have been there to hit.

GSV HERE N.B. you will need to move on one juncton on the roundabout from this view, as I can't get GSV to pick the exact spot.

Even that set of arrows is misleading to a stranger, as both Sheffield and Bawtry Roads both go to Rotherham, just different bits of it.

Essentially I believe people need to stop thinking of it as a conventional roundabout and more as a series of traffic light controlled junctions, which just happen to be in an endless circle, each set of traffic lights having it's own road lane arrowing and directions.

Edited by peak4