Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

It's an extremely strange junction. My Father has witnessed 2 crashes there and my girlfriend 1.

Literally carbon copy of the same incident here.

I think road markings need sorting out a little bit. The white car is in the wrong and more people like him need educating.

Its amazing how so many people are so stubborn and inflexible in their attitudes of "er the lane markings black car black car"

Its that attitude that causes accidents because its just sheep behaviour

Yes black car was in the wrong lane but started of way infront. The white car comes hurtling round the roundabout and if they had observed the situation effectively and hung a bit back the accident would have been avoided. Its already been stated that the black car could have been using that lane to go under the viaduct IF he had come from the M1 (not shepcoat lane) so clearly its a source of confusion. Its a difficult roundabout and people should factor this in.

So yes black car WAS in the wrong lane but that doesnt give the white car an open licence to banzai him like that. Its just like when people cross the road on the red man, you tut under your breath but you dont run them over because oh look it was a red man I'm right I'm holier than thou.

Now had they been side by side the whole way I'd have said black is at fault but you can see from the white cars perspective if your paying attention that black is going under the viaduct.

Had it done so, it would have had to have gone through a red light, as the roundabout is light controlled..

And if the black car is slow to set off.. and you think the lights never fail on that roundabout? I've driven it a couple of times with no lights.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 09:59 ----------

Qualifications mean nothing. Hazard perception and awareness are key.

Which are exactly what the qualifications measure and assess...:)

incidentally if this sort of discussion does make your blood boil you probably are not temperamentally suited to driving in a stressful situation. That's another thing the qualifications assess....

I suggest you stay away from roundabouts then. Black car actually cuts into the white cars lane.

Take a look at Streetview or drive the roundabout yourself and you will see this clearly...

Middle lane doesn't move into the left lane as the black car attempts to do!

I suggest you get yourself down to specsavers as the black car at no point crosses lanes.

And if the black car is slow to set off.. and you think the lights never fail on that roundabout? I've driven it a couple of times with no lights.

In the vid. you can see the black car is entering the r/a from Sheffield Road..the same as the white car..neither car had to set off,the traffic was already moving...Sorry Ob but given the road markings and the video I reckon the black car was at fault...as the white car was in the only lane marked for turning left,although he should have been a bit more observant perhaps,there was no reason for him to expect anyone trying to go down the viaduct in the outside lane.. (although "always expect the unexpected" is a pretty good maxim for driving)

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 10:02 ----------

I suggest you get yourself down to specsavers as the black car at no point crosses lanes.

You're right..he's in the wrong lane from the start.. :

You're right..he's in the wrong lane from the start.. :

I don't think any car was in the wrong lane as both were following the flow of the road. The white car then swerved out of its lane into the path of the car occupying it, giving them no time to react. Its clearly the fault of the white car. If you are unsure, follow the lines between the cars and you will see the white car crosses into the path of the black car.

If anyone is still unsure, just look at these two images.

http://imgur.com/a/mLzqa

The white car breaks heavily and swerves into the black car. From an insurance point of view, its the fault of the white car.

Edited by Berberis

The council is at fault. Those road markings are awful.

This, the road markings are incorrect.

The left lane is marked left or straight on, but in actual fact it is left only.

The White car didn't realise they were in the wrong lane, but crucially they crossed into another lane without looking and caused a collision.

I don't think any car was in the wrong lane as both were following the flow of the road. The white car then swerved out of its lane into the path of the car occupying it, giving them no time to react. Its clearly the fault of the white car. If you are unsure, follow the lines between the cars and you will see the white car crosses into the path of the black car.

The white car breaks heavily and swerves into the black car. From an insurance point of view, its the fault of the white car.

So we just ignore lane markings on approach to roundabouts? No doubt insurance will go 50-50 though..

Edited by truman

I take your point on board and agree the lane markings on the roundabout don't tend to match up with the lane markings on the approach to the roundabout along Sheffield Road.

However those lane markings on the roundabout are for traffic already on the roundabout and throw traffic onto the viaduct from Shepcote Lane, and then you cut across from the middle to left lane for Rotherham (only when on the roundabout from previous exits).

That's how the basics work. These lane markings were changed as previously stated years ago to help reduce traffic congestion along Sheffield Road and has done its job generally well.

However on a 6 exit roundabout - logic and indeed highway code states left for left, middle for ahead and right for right.

Rotherham (A6178) junction would be classed as a 2nd left turn by all accounts.

Also it's not the council at fault - Highways Agency owns and controls Tinsley Roundabout (along with the traffic signals).

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 10:24 ----------

This, the road markings are incorrect.

The left lane is marked left or straight on, but in actual fact it is left only.

The White car didn't realise they were in the wrong lane, but crucially they crossed into another lane without looking and caused a collision.

That's because the white car was in the correct lane to start with and did nothing wrong. Take a look at the traffic from Sheffield Road towards Magna. 99% use the left lane as that is the correct lane to do so and is also signposted and stated. :)