Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

The lane markings are not at fault. They are clearly visible and delineate the lanes shown here: http://i.imgur.com/PLsthyh.jpg

Multi-lane carriageways (rules 133 to 143)

Lane discipline

Rule 133

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

Rule 134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

The signage appears to be confusing, but this does not overrule the highway code that clearly states you should only change lanes when you are sure its safe. The driver of the white car appears to be attempting to cross two lanes at once, without indication or concern for the other driver.

The black car didn't follow 134...he entered the r/a in the "straight ahead" lane,not the "turn left" lane and he turned left..as I said insurance will go 50-50

I just hope I'm not sharing the same road space as the many on here who are blaming the white car. Makes wonder how they passed their test in the first place.

Indeed so - my thoughts exactly...

"But nooooo what about the white lanes on the roundabout, blah blah" :hihi:

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 10:39 ----------

The black car didn't follow 134...he entered the r/a in the "straight ahead" lane,not the "turn left" lane and he turned left..

Finally someone with some sense :thumbsup:

The black car didn't follow 134...he entered the r/a in the "straight ahead" lane,not the "turn left" lane and he turned left..as I said insurance will go 50-50

Correct, but once it has entered the roundabout it followed the lanes correctly. The white car did not and this is why the white car is at fault. You can clearly see the lanes on the roundabout and the black car does not cross them once it has entered. The white car crossed the lane and this is where the fault lies.

The main reason for this mess is Sheffield City Council have changed the markings on the approach to the roundabout, yet either have failed to inform Highways Agency or Highways Agency can't be bothered to change the lanes on the roundabout its self. This is where the main confusion lies.

It does seem like a case of one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

Correct, but once it has entered the roundabout it followed the lanes correctly. The white car did not and this is why the white car is at fault. You can clearly see the lanes on the roundabout and the black car does not cross them once it has entered. The white car crossed the lane and this is where the fault lies.

So he entered the r/a from a non left turn lane and turned left..you reckon that''s OK? Do you think the black car is in no way responsible for the collision? Not having a pop,just wondering why we bother with lane markings if that's the case.. :)

So he entered the r/a from a non left turn lane and turned left..you reckon that''s OK? Do you think the black car is in no way responsible for the collision? Not having a pop,just wondering why we bother with lane markings if that's the case.. :)

From looking at the video the white car would have hit the black car even if the black car was going straight over.

They hit before the lanes split, the black car ended up just on the roundabout and the white car was positioned on the kerb where the roundabout and A631 split off.

Edited by geared

Assuming the white car intended to go to Rotherham via the A617.

At what point did their lane choice become incorrect?

It doesnt say no left turn. The marks are also irrespective of the actual lane markings on the roundabout. You are mento to follow the road markings as they are presented to you and you are not supposed to swerve across two lanes when you realise you are in the wrong lane.

If you want to argue that the lane markings before the junction say M1N and R'Ham, then the markings before this state, as you enter the lane M1N, and make no mention of R'Ham. You cant say the markings are wrong and correct at the same time.

From looking at the video the white car would have hit the black car even if the black car was going straight over.

They hit before the lanes split, the black car ended up just on the roundabout and the white car was positioned on the kerb where the roundabout and A631 split off.

If the black car had been following the lane instructions he would have been in the second from left lane on the r/a..nowhere near the white one..just my opinion of course :)

Having been and looked with my own eyes, twice (was off to The Hall anyway) I can 100% confirm that the road markings as of today are..........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ohxd395vs1t10g/B.png?dl=0

these are incorrect https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4133649,-1.403555,133m/data=!3m1!1e3

Lesson I've learnt today don't trust google maps and be aware

Hopefully the maps one is working now?

I put the street view one in there to confirm thats what I saw driving around there this morning.

I think the issue there, is that your Google link is to Satellite View (Google Earth), which is well out of date, as opposed to Street View, which is both more current and can also be viewed at different previous points in time, by a scroll bar in the top left hand corner.