Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

Why dont you try the same in the position of the white car?

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 20:43 ----------

Highway code rule 131 and 133

What's the chances of all the following being true?

The lorry did it wrong.

The council wasted paint and wrote Rotherham under the viaduct even though you can't possibly get to it from the approach marked Rotherham.

The traffic in the videos posted all gets it wrong by going straight on in the left lane.

I got it wrong when I went on the same approach yesterday and although I turned down the viaduct I appeared to have the option to go straight on.

The white car followed the markings and got it wrong.

Or could it be you not understanding the markings and how to apply them all while waving driving qualifications around to convince people of your incorrect argument and incorrectly applying rule 131 of the highway code?

I know which side of the fence I'm on.

It doesn't matter what the arrows on the ground are indicating BEFORE the junction when the roundabout itself is indicating otherwise.

So how would anyone ever reach the 2nd exit to Rotherham? Those complying with the lane arrows painted on the ground would get into the correct lane on their approach to the roundabout, so all those wanting to take the 2nd exit to Rotherham would all get into the left lane.

But then by your reckoning everyone in the left lane MUST then instead go under the viaduct towards M1(N).

What if instead of it being the viaduct it was the entrance slip road to the M1? Would you say that they MUST all go onto the M1 because thats what the white lines on the roundabout say?

Common sense dictates you can see more of the road on the left and can react in good time if driving at appropriate speed and distance. Over taking cars or cars in a central lane are blind on the left side.

Apart from their mirrors and checking their blind spot you mean?

Just because it is more difficult does not mean that they have right of way though.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 21:03 ----------

You mean you drove through a car and never noticed?

Since you are in the realms of fantasy now I'll leave you to it.

Surprisingly I didn't. Do you know why? Because apart from that Black car, and about 3 people on this thread everyone can plainly see that trying to go left from the central lane clearly marked for alternate exits would be foolish and cause an accident.

The white car is at fault for speeding up the inside of the black car and not seeing that the car was indicating to go left. Speed was the factor here not the lanes.

No, the lane was the factor here. If it wasn't then they wouldn't be an accident.

The only reason why the white car caught up is because the black car is about to make a 60 degree turn toward M1 North crossing in front of the white car path and so the black car had to slow down in order to make that turn which resulted in giving the appearance that the white car had speeded up.

The onus on the person making the lane change that it is safe to do so.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone read the documents I linked to earlier regarding the design and marking of roundabouts?

The other pertinent question is: How many of the folks commenting on this thread have actually regularly driven the route, from Sheffield Road, to Sheffield Road, heading towards Rotherham?

i.e. the route that the white car intended to take; please note that I typed "the route", not "the lane(s)"

Edited by peak4

Just out of curiosity, did anyone read the documents I linked to earlier regarding the design and marking of roundabouts?

The other pertinent question is: How many of the folks commenting on this thread have actually regularly driven the route, from Sheffield Road, to Sheffield Road, heading towards Rotherham?

i.e. the route that the white car intended to take; please note that I typed "the route", not "the lane(s)"

I used to drive the route from Attercliffe towards Magna when the left hand lane was M1N only. The correct approach was the centre lane. It was then necessary to change lanes into the left hand lane as you passed under the viaduct, as this was the only exit towards Magna. In order to do this safely, it was often necessary to slow right down, surprising people behind who were expecting a free run towards Bawtry Rd. Also, at busy times, the left hand lane under the motorway was often already full, (with drivers originally coming from the M1 or Shepcote lane before being held up by the lights) making it even more difficult to move over.

On occasions, I approached the roundabout in the left hand lane even though it was contrary to the road markings at the time, as I considered that I could complete the manoeuvre more safely.

I think that the change to the road markings on the approach from attercliffe was a good idea.

I cannot believe what I am reading.

if you look at the video 8 seconds in, the white car is in the Lane Marke M1(N) Thats all that lane says.

The white car MUST, unless clear to do otherwise, go on the viaduct.

Anyone who blames the black car should either

(A) Retake their test

(B) Go to Specsavers

if you look at the video 8 seconds in, the white car is in the Lane Marke M1(N) Thats all that lane says.

The white car MUST, unless clear to do otherwise, go on the viaduct.

Anyone who blames the black car should either

(A) Retake their test

(B) Go to Specsavers

if you look at the video 10 seconds in, the white car is in the Lane Marked M1(N) and Rotherham. Thats all that lane says.

The white car MUST, unless clear to do otherwise, go on the viaduct or to the Rotherham exit.

Anyone who blames the white car should either

(A) Retake their test

(B) Go to Specsavers