Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

I cannot believe what I am reading.

if you look at the video 8 seconds in, the white car is in the Lane Marke M1(N) Thats all that lane says.

The white car MUST, unless clear to do otherwise, go on the viaduct.

Anyone who blames the black car should either

(A) Retake their test

(B) Go to Specsavers

Please retake your test

if you look at the video 8 seconds in, the white car is in the Lane Marke M1(N) Thats all that lane says.

The white car MUST, unless clear to do otherwise, go on the viaduct.

Anyone who blames the black car should either

(A) Retake their test

(B) Go to Specsavers

if you look at the video, at no point is the Black car in a lane marked M1N.

The black car MUST, unless clear to do otherwise, not exit for the M1N.

Anyone who blames the white car should either

(A) Retake their test

(B) Go to Specsavers

I used to drive the route from Attercliffe towards Magna when the left hand lane was M1N only. The correct approach was the centre lane. It was then necessary to change lanes into the left hand lane as you passed under the viaduct, as this was the only exit towards Magna. In order to do this safely, it was often necessary to slow right down, surprising people behind who were expecting a free run towards Bawtry Rd. Also, at busy times, the left hand lane under the motorway was often already full, (with drivers originally coming from the M1 or Shepcote lane before being held up by the lights) making it even more difficult to move over.

On occasions, I approached the roundabout in the left hand lane even though it was contrary to the road markings at the time, as I considered that I could complete the manoeuvre more safely.

I think that the change to the road markings on the approach from attercliffe was a good idea.

As did I, on a regular basis, from the late 1980s through until I retired a couple of years ago. I still use it regularly, just not on a daily/weekly basis.

I actually think that, even then, the LH lane was correct for Sheffield Rd to Magna.

The lane markings were slightly different and the arrowing did say "Left", but I'd argue then that the intention was that there should be two left turn options (M1N & RH) and one straight on (Bawtry Rd).

Indeed the big white road sign implies the same, M1N @ 8 o'clock, Roth @ 10 o'clock, Bawtry straight on @ 12 o'clock.

Further, the Left Hand approach lane did not require you to cross any lane markings under the viaduct to head for Magna in the left hand lane under the flyover, so I'd argue that you were correct all those years ago with your occasional foray into the left hand approach lane.

Now it seems that they've reconsidered (in name at least) what's left, and what's straight on; you currently have one "Left" option (M1N) and two "Straight On"s, Magna, and Bawtry Rd:

N.B. they are different "Straight On"s, each requiring a different lane on approach from Meadowhall (Sheffield Rd)

Go back to GSV and use the option on the top left hand corner to scroll back to 2009.

I'm not sure you can use that facility on a phone, but it certainly works on a full size PC/Laptop.(you can go back to 2008, but there's cars blocking the view of the arrows on that record).

The lane designation did not mention M1N, just a left arrow, though M1S was signwritten, no mention of either Rotherham or Bawtry.

p.s. They amended the "Left" arrow in the left approach lane to "Left & Straight On", some time between 09/09 and 05/12, but unfortunately also changed the lane markings between 09/11 and 05/12, so that one now had to cross the broken white line lane markings in order to get to the exit they clearly wanted you to take.

In my own opinion, had they just added the straight on arrow, but not changed the broken white line, we might not be having this rather prolonged discussion today.

We would likely be having a similar one with folks cutting each other up at the next junction heading for Bawtry Rd.:D

Edited by peak4

As did I, on a regular basis, from the late 1980s through until I retired a couple of years ago. I still use it regularly, just not on a daily/weekly basis.

I actually think that, even then, the LH lane was correct for Sheffield Rd to Magna.

The lane markings were slightly different and the arrowing did say "Left", but I'd argue then that the intention was that there should be two left turn options (M1N & RH) and one straight on (Bawtry Rd).

Indeed the big white road sign implies the same, M1N @ 8 o'clock, Roth @ 10 o'clock, Bawtry straight on @ 12 o'clock.

Further, the Left Hand approach lane did not require you to cross any lane markings under the viaduct to head for Magna in the left hand lane under the flyover, so I'd argue that you were correct all those years ago with your occasional foray into the left hand approach lane.

Now it seems that they've reconsidered (in name at least) what's left, and what's straight on; you currently have one "Left" option (M1N) and two "Straight On"s, Magna, and Bawtry Rd:

N.B. they are different "Straight On"s, each requiring a different lane on approach from Meadowhall (Sheffield Rd)

Go back to GSV and use the option on the top left hand corner to scroll back to 2009.

I'm not sure you can use that facility on a phone, but it certainly works on a full size PC/Laptop.(you can go back to 2008, but there's cars blocking the view of the arrows on that record).

The lane designation did not mention M1N, just a left arrow, though M1S was signwritten, no mention of either Rotherham or Bawtry.

p.s. They amended the "Left" arrow in the left approach lane to "Left & Straight On", some time between 09/09 and 05/12, but unfortunately also changed the lane markings between 09/11 and 05/12, so that one now had to cross the broken white line lane markings in order to get to the exit they clearly wanted you to take.

In my own opinion, had they just added the straight on arrow, but not changed the broken white line, we might not be having this rather prolonged discussion today.

We would likely be having a similar one with folks cutting each other up at the next junction heading for Bawtry Rd.:D

As an aside...

A few years ago the approach, northbound, on the A61 towards the roundabout at its junction with the A616 near Tankersley, was altered to make the left hand lane a turn left only, ie presumably towards Stocksbridge, with straight ahead (A61 to junction 36) and right (A616 to junction 35A). But what about the turn off towards the Shell petrol station and McDonalds? If you used the left lane, you ran the risk of conflict with drivers in the right hand lane who expected you to have turned off.

Luckily, the road layout was soon amended.

Wow! 25 pages in and everyone is still in disagreement.

The trouble is now, everything that there is to say has been said and everyone thinks what they think. There is no new information so there will never be a conclusion...unless either the White car or Black car owners turn up and tell us how the findings went in this case?!

Out of interest do you have an answer to my post #156?

Its inconsequential the white car swerved across lanes. This is all that is needed to find fault. The highway code is very clear on the matter of lane changing. The white car crossed the line and is therefore at fault. Simple.

Its inconsequential the white car swerved across lanes. This is all that is needed to find fault. The highway code is very clear on the matter of lane changing. The white car crossed the line and is therefore at fault. Simple.

The road markings are clearer. There's only one vehicle that didn't follow them - the black one.

There's been as much posted as is possible to show that you are incorrect. Videos, images, road markings and their locations, logic etc.

A ton of metal can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands - I pray the people who still maintain that the black car acted appropriately are doing so through bravado and fear of appearing weak by changing their opinions on a public forum.

The road markings are clearer. There's only one vehicle that didn't follow them - the black one.

There's been as much posted as is possible to show that you are incorrect. Videos, images, road markings and their locations, logic etc.

A ton of metal can do a lot of damage in the wrong hands - I pray the people who still maintain that the black car acted appropriately are doing so through bravado and fear of appearing weak by changing their opinions on a public forum.

Yes, the road markings are clear but the rest of your comment is clearly wrong. I have already posted a number of images to back this up. Post #108

ref: http://imgur.com/a/mLzqa

White car is in the left hand lane and crosses into the adjacent lane occupied by the black car. The highway code is clear and again was quoted in post #117.

Edited by Berberis