Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

I am absolutely horrified at the result of this vote, seriously there must be a LOT of drivers out there who don't know how to read roads and follow lanes. :o

The black car is clear as day in the wrong, the arrows on the road leading up to the roundabout show the middle lane as straight ahead only and the left hand lane the white car is in, is straight ahead or turn left.

If the black car wanted to turn left it should have been in the left lane. The white car had every right to carry straight on.

Where's the confusion? :confused:

I'm so glad that as a thick person with a police driving qualification or two and IAM membership as well that you've pointed this fact out... :roll:

As a police driver and an advanced driver I can't understand why you blame the white car. Which lane exactly do you think the white car should be in to take the 2nd exit straight ahead? Please don't say the lane the black car was in!!

I have just driven it.

Drove the White car route and the black car route.

The White car does nothing wrong just follows the roundabout.

The black car is at fault. In their mitigation, the lane markings aren't clear and I can see why they would assume they can turn left but by design they are not supposed to.

I videod both routes and will upload later.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 13:26 ----------

Also you will see on the video, a number of cars I am following take the white car route and the 2nd exit. Because that is what you are supposed to do. The middle lane is for 3rd and 4th exit (Bawtry and M1 S)

I am absolutely horrified at the result of this vote, seriously there must be a LOT of drivers out there who don't know how to read roads and follow lanes. :o

The black car is clear as day in the wrong, the arrows on the road leading up to the roundabout show the middle lane as straight ahead only and the left hand lane the white car is in, is straight ahead or turn left.

If the black car wanted to turn left it should have been in the left lane. The white car had every right to carry straight on.

Where's the confusion? :confused:

Im struggling to understand where the confusion is as well. It's clear as night and day. Black car is at fault. It's frightening isn't it that we share the roads with all these on here saying the white car is at fault.

At 10 secs onward you can see that the Audi is in a lane marked M1S.

At the point of the collision the Audi is attempting to go towards the M1N, not the M1S.

At 10 secs onward the white car is in a lane marked as left/straight on M1N/R'Ham

At the point of the collision the white car is attempting to go straight on.

Clearly the Audi wanted to go onto the M1N, but chose either deliberately or in error to approach the roundabout in a lane for the M1S.

Why they would choose that option is beyond me, but I guess that's how accidents happen.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 13:02 ----------

Not for M1N/R'Ham.

after re viewing the clip the black car is in the wrong as the inner lane only goes to rotherham my mistake but it is badly laid out.

At the point of the collision the white car is......

Changing lanes.

That's all that matters.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 13:29 ----------

As a police driver and an advanced driver I can't understand why you blame the white car.

Because they changed lanes without due care or consideration for other road users. HC Rule 131

Which lane exactly do you think the white car should be in to take the 2nd exit straight ahead? Please don't say the lane the black car was in!!

The lane the black car was in. Obviously when there was no car in it however!

Changing lanes.

That's all that matters.

It certainly does........M1S to M1N

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 13:32 ----------

I have just driven it.

Drove the White car route and the black car route.

The White car does nothing wrong just follows the roundabout.

The black car is at fault. In their mitigation, the lane markings aren't clear and I can see why they would assume they can turn left but by design they are not supposed to.

I videod both routes and will upload later.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 13:26 ----------

Also you will see on the video, a number of cars I am following take the white car route and the 2nd exit. Because that is what you are supposed to do. The middle lane is for 3rd and 4th exit (Bawtry and M1 S)

Weird that, it's as if the vast majority of drivers follow the signage/road markings.

Changing lanes.

That's all that matters.

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 13:29 ----------

Because they changed lanes without due care or consideration for other road users. HC Rule 131

The lane the black car was in. Obviously when there was no car in it however!

You cannot take the 2nd left in that lane