Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

I think we can categorise folk here into the following groups of opinions..

1. The markings/arrows/writing on the road surface prior to the roundabout determine which lanes go where, and supersede what the lane separation white lines on the roundabout suggest.

2. The markings/arrows/writing on the road surface prior to the roundabout mean absolutely nothing whatsoever, and must be ignored, and the lane separation white lines on the roundabout take priority.

3. Those who just don't have a clue, yet are allowed to share the road with us all :confused:.

Me? Im in Group 1.

From memory (not been down that road for a while), at the point just before the road joins the RA, if the middle lane is not signed M1N, then that is (at that point on the road) the wrong lane for M1N. At that position on the road, if the black car is in the middle lane and intending to go M1N, I believe he is in the wrong lane.

So was in error for attempting to go towards the M1N without checking first?

Especially considering the road markings indicate that the left lane can be used for going straight on?

So was in error for attempting to go towards the M1N without checking first?

Not in error (at the point of trying to exit the RA), but given the ambiguity of combined instruction (signage on entry to RA, and marked lanes on the RA), it would certainly be prudent to check what other road users are doing.

My feeling is that once on the RA, the lines on the road which delineate the lanes, contradict and superceed the instruction given previously by the road signs on entry to the RA.

Which is what I said - the Audi driver didn't look.

The white car can see the Audi in his own Lane, the Audi gives no indication that he's gonna change

The Audi hasn't changed lanes though. So why would he look? The white car is crossing the lane boundary so they should be checking to see there's nothing there.

I think we can categorise folk here into the following groups of opinions..

1. The markings/arrows/writing on the road surface prior to the roundabout determine which lanes go where, and supersede what the lane separation white lines on the roundabout suggest.

2. The markings/arrows/writing on the road surface prior to the roundabout mean absolutely nothing whatsoever, and must be ignored, and the lane separation white lines on the roundabout take priority.

3. Those who just don't have a clue, yet are allowed to share the road with us all :confused:.

Me? Im in Group 1.

Group 2, I'd say the markings on the roundabout take priority and superseed those that come before it, because those are what is presented to you on the roundabout.

Group 2, I'd say the markings on the roundabout take priority and superseed those that come before it, because those are what is presented to you on the roundabout.

I'd agree, otherwise there would be carnage if road markings signage earlier on the road take precedent over those where you are now.

The Audi hasn't changed lanes though. So why would he look? The white car is crossing the lane boundary so they should be checking to see there's nothing there.

Personally if I'd entered a roundabout from a lane indicated M1S/Bawtry and I wanted to go to the M1N, I'd certainly be looking.

A big problem with lane markings (even when they're correct) is they are sometimes partially or completely obscured by traffic. So drivers default to what they would normally expect at a roundabout. The trouble here is that the destination of left lane traffic at roundabouts can vary from one place to another. It might be left only, it might be left or straight on. But if you can't see the markings you can't be certain what's correct so you have to proceed carefully, expecting 'errors' from others.