Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

The arrows being "in the past" doesn't somehow mean that they don't apply.

Why?

I drove past an arrow earlier on today that was marked as this lane for Windsor. When does that cease to apply? Five meters? ten meters? 5 kilometers?

If you have three lanes entering and six exits? does that mean you can only get to three of the exits then?

Theres a big arrow at the end of the slip lane on motorway ramps. It points into the main carraigeway. Can I therefore just drive into the main carriageway of the M1 and expect everyone to move out the way for me? Why is it different in this respect?

Markings along the road have meanings - some mean you MUST not cross - like solid white lines... some you can cross like broken ones. But in all circumstances if you choose to cross them you must do so with "due care and consideration" for other road users.

The white car crossed the lane markings. The black car didnt cross lane markings. The white car acted without the due care and consideration that a careful and competent driver would be expected to exercise with regard to the lane marking and the prescence of the black car.

How about this...

Assume the black car did not try to exit towards M1N, rather it stayed in (the left-most) lane going towards Rotherham. Now, if the white car did exactly the same thing, crossing lanes and going towards Rotherham, it would be attempting to join the same lane that the black car is (rightly) in, and a collision would be inevitable.

Who do you think would be to blame in the above scenario?

I can't open the original film now.

The Star wants me to register to read it. No chance.

They've probably done it to stifle things like SF. I can't read any threads anymore that link to their site.

Odd, I didn't register and can see it. It's just embedded YouTube...

Maybe OP could edit original post to include link to YouTube?

Oh, you are the OP!

Why?

Because that's how they work.

There would be literally no point to them if they became invalid the moment you had passed them.

I drove past an arrow earlier on today that was marked as this lane for Windsor. When does that cease to apply? Five meters? ten meters? 5 kilometers?

When another instruction replaces it perhaps.

If you have three lanes entering and six exits? does that mean you can only get to three of the exits then?

What have I said that implies that?

Theres a big arrow at the end of the slip lane on motorway ramps. It points into the main carraigeway. Can I therefore just drive into the main carriageway of the M1 and expect everyone to move out the way for me? Why is it different in this respect?

Can you point out the arrow?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.399095,-1.3426689,205m/data=!3m1!1e3

That's M1 Junc 33, northbound slip road.

Markings along the road have meanings - some mean you MUST not cross - like solid white lines... some you can cross like broken ones. But in all circumstances if you choose to cross them you must do so with "due care and consideration" for other road users.

The white car crossed the lane markings. The black car didnt cross lane markings. The white car acted without the due care and consideration that a careful and competent driver would be expected to exercise with regard to the lane marking and the prescence of the black car.

The black car moved to the left. Despite not crossing any white lines, it was in the wrong.

The white car was actually further forwards and proceeding straight ahead as it was allowed to do. Short of anticipating the future and doing an emergency stop based on the future behaviour of the black car, I can't see how the white car could have avoided the incident. The black car however could, because they moved left into a car that was ahead of them and to their left.

How about this...

Assume the black car did not try to exit towards M1N, rather it stayed in (the left-most) lane going towards Rotherham. Now, if the white car did exactly the same thing, crossing lanes and going towards Rotherham, it would be attempting to join the same lane that the black car is (rightly) in, and a collision would be inevitable.

Who do you think would be to blame in the above scenario?

If both cars are in the left hand lane then one is behind the other, either one can go left or straight on. It isn't a problem.

If you're suggesting that the black car approaches in the middle lane then tries to move over to the left hand laner once they have joined the roundabout then the black car is still in the wrong because they have approached in the wrong lane for the exit they want then tried to move over left to change lane on the roundabout. Once on the roundabout the black car needs to move into the middle lane which is for M1S and BWTRY. The Black car has moved over without properly checking.

Because that's how they work.

There would be literally no point to them if they became invalid the moment you had passed them.

For a moment then - assume you wanted to go to the M1(s) from there.

The arrow points straight ahead. So you just follow it ahead and never get to the M1(S)?

I think there is a fundamental disconnect as to what people the arrows mean, which is very worrying

---------- Post added 16-02-2018 at 09:40 ----------

The black car moved to the left. Despite not crossing any white lines, it was in the wrong.

I cannot see how you can actually hold that idea in your head, and consider you are a competent driver.

The white car was actually further forwards and proceeding straight ahead as it was allowed to do.

No it wasn't. There is nothing at all that lets it cross the lane dividers. HC131 for a start says it's a bad idea...

Short of anticipating the future and doing an emergency stop based on the future behaviour of the black car, I can't see how the white car could have avoided the incident.

Well not crossing lanes would be a start don't you think?

If both cars are in the left hand lane then one is behind the other, either one can go left or straight on. It isn't a problem.

If you're suggesting that the black car approaches in the middle lane then tries to move over to the left hand laner once they have joined the roundabout then the black car is still in the wrong because they have approached in the wrong lane for the exit they want then tried to move over left to change lane on the roundabout. Once on the roundabout the black car needs to move into the middle lane which is for M1S and BWTRY. The Black car has moved over without properly checking.

No, I'm not suggesting either of those scenarios.

I mean if the black car stays in the lane it's in in the video, but does not try to turn left (m1n). After it passes the exit for m1n, it has not changed lanes, but finds itself in the left most lane on the roundabout, immediately after the exit for m1n.