Comparison websites

I went onto a comparison website for my car insurance and found one £24 cheaper than my present insurers renewal quote.

I phoned my present company and asked if they could match it.

They couldn't so I said I wouldn't renew.

Went back onto the cheaper site and found that the like for like cost had increased to £7 above the one I had just cancelled.

I have renewed with my original insurer.

NOT HAPPY

Edited by davyboy

I went onto a comparison website for my car insurance and found one £24 cheaper than my present insurers renewal quote.

I phoned my present company and asked if they could match it.

They couldn't so I said I wouldn't renew.

Went back onto the cheaper site and found that the like for like cost had increased to £7 above the one I had just cancelled.

I have renewed with my original insurer.

NOT HAPPY

Many e-tailing websites have embedded algorithms to increase price according to increasing interest (number and frequency of visits) for a product/service.

Basically, the more time you (and/or everybody else) look at and/or buy <something>, the more expensive it gets.

Amazon, flight companies, rail companies, comparison websites, <etc.>

Some of the 'less' smart websites can be fooled by clearing your webcache (cookies) between visits.

Many e-tailing websites have embedded algorithms to increase price according to increasing interest (number and frequency of visits) for a product/service.

Basically, the more time you (and/or everybody else) look at and/or buy <something>, the more expensive it gets.

Some of the 'less' smart websites can be fooled by clearing your webcache (cookies) between visits.

This, they're sneeky devils and will bump the price when they know you're likely to make a purchase.

I go and look for flights in internet café or use a bus/train IP connection after clearing all cookies.

If they know you make the journey even once a year they stop giving the best deals to you. When they think you are checking for first time they make you think you can get it almost for free.

Very similar as fishing, you're on the hook, they got you.

There needs to be a comparison website for comparison websites, to help you decide which comparison website to use.