How To Get A Council House - TV show

Are you an idiot? :huh:

Read the OP.....i was just talking about a program that was on TV last night.

Not the entire UK policy on immigration.

So you don't know what you're talking about. Good to clear that one up. So can you please stop talking nonsense. Thanks.

Did I hear correctly, you have to live here 3 months to claim JSA.

My contract has just ended, I've lived here all my life. I've been told I can't claim because I had a work break and am 2 weeks short of my NI contributions.

They probably mean you can't claim contribution based JSA- you'll maybe be entitled to income based JSA though.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jsa

They probably mean you can't claim contribution based JSA- you'll maybe be entitled to income based JSA though.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jsa

No, I cant claim either, my husbands pension is a few pounds too much.

I just meant I've contributed all my working life except for having a short work break when my son had an accident, and I cant claim when I find myself out of work.

But someone who hasn't contributed can.

Edited by Orangepip

No they can't.

Some people who have never worked, ie contributed by paying NI contributions, can and do claim benefits. There are so many different scenarios, and I think it is unfair that Orangepip is denied a small weekly payment after years of paying her dues. A friend, made redundant at 60+ with no work breaks was also denied contribution based JSA, even though he was looking for another job. The reason? He had a small private pension that he'd paid for. Not a rule he'd been aware of until the situation arose.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 10:05 ----------

Are economic migrants likely to get council houses? I can understand refugees getting one, but when the criteria for getting a council house (in Sheffield at least) is now so strict I assume that an economic migrant wouldn't be eligible for one for about 20 years.

Not quite. Every week there are properties advertised for immediate let, no waiting time, people just need to meet the eligibility criteria. Gleadless Valley and Winn Gardens regularly have vacancies. Here's the current list. https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/PropertySearch/Results/1?Sender=ResultsPage&AttemptedLocationName=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&PreviousAttemptedLocationName=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&AttemptedLocationLongitude=-1.46774663&AttemptedLocationLatitude=53.3831629303&SearchRadius=5&Location.Latitude=53.3831629303&Location.Longitude=-1.46774663&Location.Name=Sheffield+(Sheffield)&SortOrder=0&PreviousSortOrder=0&PropertyID=&AllocationScheme=556&AdvertTypes=1&AccommodationTypes=1,2,3,4,5&AdvertisedDates=&_=1495357705087

Edited by Ms Macbeth

No, I cant claim either, my husbands pension is a few pounds too much.

I just meant I've contributed all my working life except for having a short work break when my son had an accident, and I cant claim when I find myself out of work.

But someone who hasn't contributed can.

In truth, anyone whose husband's pension is over the limit would be denied income based JSA, that would happen to those who've not worked all their lives as well.

I only mention it because there's so much scapegoating directed on those on benefits- it's important that people reading this thread don't come away with the impression that those who 'haven't contributed' are getting something denied to those who have.

I agree with you that the system is unfair- people are duped into paying into it (NI contributions) on the false premise that it will be there to bale them out in times of need, and, it often isn't.

Yet there's more evidence they say to suggest that very few Romanians claim benefits.

What infuriates me is the very often one sided views that are shown to us. How many got off the same flight and returned to work here in the UK the next day?

If you're curious, then why not do a wee poll to see how many forummers have at least one Romanian colleague employed in the company they work for, or employ themselves.

I personally do not know anyone who employ Romanians. Not because of anything sinister-they just don't apply. They're quite happy to work on the begging rota in the town centre.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:28 ----------

[/color]

You bet? You mean you know nothing and are just making a bigoted comment :rolleyes:

Do you personally know of any in employment? No fibs now, if you're in a tight spot.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:33 ----------

But hang on a minute, if it is about free movement, do they film any accounts of British people going to live overseas? Or is it only one way?

I would imagine Brits moving abroad have their act together- job-cash in bank- accommodation sorted and not an army of relatives ready for the 'come on over' call.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

If you're curious, then why not do a wee poll to see how many forummers have at least one Romanian colleague employed in the company they work for, or employ themselves.

I personally do not know anyone who employ Romanians. Not because of anything sinister-they just don't apply. They're quite happy to work on the begging rota in the town centre.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:28 ----------

[/color]

Do you personally know of any in employment? No fibs now, if you're in a tight spot.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:33 ----------

I would imagine Brits moving abroad have their act together- job-cash in bank- accommodation sorted and not an army of relatives ready for the 'come on over' call.

That's very likely but there number, if I read it correctly, is estimated to be around half the population of Sheffield. Spread throughout the UK the probability of working alongside one is very slim.

Personally I wouldn't know if any foreign national was Romanian or not.

The point is that there will of course be a percentage of all EU citizens that are currently unemployed, but the greater number will be contributing, statistics show this to be the case from what I read.

Some people who have never worked, ie contributed by paying NI contributions, can and do claim benefits. There are so many different scenarios, and I think it is unfair that Orangepip is denied a small weekly payment after years of paying her dues.

It isn't Orangepip, it is her household that is being denied. If you want to change that it is a domestic issue. It is nothing to do with Romanians coming here and claiming houses. I've not seen the program, but it all sounds extremely staged to me.