How To Get A Council House - TV show

So either it was misleading in presentation, or it was hugely out of date.

Actually, perhaps IT wasn't misleading but you were.

Bob - "Councils don't provide housing for newly arrived EU migrants"

Poppet - "You are wrong".

Except he isn't, because if the guy was previously working here then he wasn't a newly arrived immigrant was he.

Precisely right. It's no different in essence to a UK national having worked in the UK, gone abroad for a bit, returned to the UK and claimed housing benefit. I'm pleased to see that Poppet has at least read the regulations and accepts that newly arrived jobseeking EU migrants don't get housing benefit. It's a myth and a lie, so let's put it to bed once and for all:

From 10 November 2014, if you become a jobseeker after living in the UK for more than three months with a different status (for example, as a student) and you don’t have a right to reside for another reason, you may only receive income-based jobseeker's allowance for 91 days. Your claim for income-based jobseeker's allowance may stop after you’ve been claiming for a total of 91 days, unless you can provide 'compelling' evidence that you have a genuine chance of finding work.

Since 1 April 2014 if you're an EEA national who is a jobseeker, or if you're the family member of an EEA jobseeker, regulations mean that you will not be able to claim housing benefit even if you are receiving income-based jobseeker's allowance.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/eea-nationals-and-the-habitual-residence-test/eea-nationals-claiming-benefits-as-a-jobseeker/

The Government has removed access to housing benefit for European Economic Area (EEA) jobseekers even if they get income-based jobseeker's allowance. All EEA jobseekers have to wait three months after which they have to take a habitual residency test with the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP). If after the test they have gained 'worker status' then they can claim housing benefit.

https://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/info/200170/benefits_advice_-_before_you_apply/1041/housing_benefit_for_eea_jobseekers

So either it was misleading in presentation, or it was hugely out of date.

Actually, perhaps IT wasn't misleading but you were.

Bob - "Councils don't provide housing for newly arrived EU migrants"

Poppet - "You are wrong".

Except he isn't, because if the guy was previously working here then he wasn't a newly arrived immigrant was he.

Yes, apologies to Bob, regarding that matter. :)

Recent migrants to the UK are more likely to live in the private rented sector; 88% of EU born residents arriving between 2014 and 2016 privately rented, compared to 29% of those arriving between 1991 and 2000, although these trends are also influenced by age, as younger people are also more likely to privately rent.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/articles/internationalmigrationandthechangingnatureofhousinginenglandwhatdoestheavailableevidenceshow/2017-05-25

So that leaves 12% and 71% that are either buying, homeless or in social housing.

So you've personally established that all the refugees and migrants on your estate are not working and have iPads? And you also think not speaking English is a route to getting a bus pass. You're either unwittingly very wrong or a liar.

Where did I say all? I was commenting the Burmese that I see every day, I'm not a liar about them not speaking English, you tell me why young men, women, girls and men show a pass, they are not disabled as the pass shown isn't a disability pass.

The ALL mentioned referred to more people living in properties thats allowed.

Edited by lazarus

Where did I say all? I was commenting the Burmese that I see every day, I'm not a liar about them not speaking English, you tell me why young men, women, girls and men show a pass, they are not disabled as the pass shown isn't a disability pass.

The ALL mentioned referred to more people living in properties thats allowed.

On Gleadless Valley there's quite a few Burmese? some over 65, none of them work but they all have the modern accessories phones, iPads etc so just how much in benefits do they get? I know that there's more people living in some of the council properties than is allowed. The same goes for all the other middle eastern and African immigrants living on the estate. I have worked over 50 years to gain a bus pass but some of these get one because they can't speak English unitil it suits them.

No, you said it there. And you don't know how many people live in each property and how many is allowed by their tenancy agreement either. You're just making stuff up.

If you're curious, then why not do a wee poll to see how many forummers have at least one Romanian colleague employed in the company they work for, or employ themselves.

I personally do not know anyone who employ Romanians. Not because of anything sinister-they just don't apply. They're quite happy to work on the begging rota in the town centre.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:28 ----------

[/color]

Do you personally know of any in employment? No fibs now, if you're in a tight spot.

---------- Post added 21-05-2017 at 13:33 ----------

I would imagine Brits moving abroad have their act together- job-cash in bank- accommodation sorted and not an army of relatives ready for the 'come on over' call.

My assistant is a Romanian, working at one of the large law firms in town. Fantastic woman - committed, intelligent and hard-working. She was poached by a rival recently, but she wanted to stay with us and we upped her salary accordingly. She's doing very well. I also have a Greek and a Hungarian in the same team.

---------- Post added 28-03-2018 at 16:54 ----------

On Gleadless Valley there's quite a few Burmese? some over 65, none of them work but they all have the modern accessories phones, iPads etc so just how much in benefits do they get? I know that there's more people living in some of the council properties than is allowed. The same goes for all the other middle eastern and African immigrants living on the estate. I have worked over 50 years to gain a bus pass but some of these get one because they can't speak English unitil it suits them.

I think you'll find Burma - or Myanmar as it is called now - is in Asia, and is not one of the 'other Middle Eastern or African' countries

---------- Post added 28-03-2018 at 17:01 ----------

Perhaps it's a student pass? Perhaps it's a monthly pass they have paid for.

You simply can't state categorically that they have walked into the country and got a free bus pass based on the limited knowledge you have. It's a ridiculous assertion to make.

No, you said it there. And you don't know how many people live in each property and how many is allowed by their tenancy agreement either. You're just making stuff up.
in a three bedroom property the total is three adults over eighteen under sixteen males are allowed two to a bedroom with parents in one bedroom, under ten year old children , boys and girls can share . So the maximum is six in council properties, children under six are not took into account, so when you see up to four adults plus five children in one property, council tenants know exactly how many people are allowed as its on their tenancy agreement.

Student pass! men and women in their forties and fifties in fact any over twenty.

in a three bedroom property the total is three adults over eighteen under sixteen males are allowed two to a bedroom with parents in one bedroom, under ten year old children , boys and girls can share . So the maximum is six in council properties, children under six are not took into account, so when you see up to four adults plus five children in one property, council tenants know exactly how many people are allowed as its on their tenancy agreement.

Student pass! men and women in their forties and fifties in fact any over twenty.

No, you are wrong. Where I work we give advice on overcrowding and SCC use the statutory overcrowding regulations which use room size to determine maximum occupancy of a property and allow living rooms to be counted as bedrooms. I don't agree with that and I don't think living rooms should be counted as bedrooms but that's the law. Plus, it's ludicrous to say that every household of a certain ethnic background is overcrowded, as is your bus pass claim. You're exaggerating because you want to see yourself as some kind of hard done to victim.