Atheists are more intelligent than Religious people

@ Carlinate & Cyclone- I'd say you're both intelligent, but, in different ways. I believe your mutual frustration is not due to rational disagreement, but, is a communication issue.

I speak from experience when I predict that, IMO, if you do not both acknowledge there is a communication issue between you, and, address it, then continuing on your present course will almost certainly only lead to greater frustration and anger. Just my opinion.

Can you prove that Santa doesn't exist? Is it baking your brain that you can't.

As only children and weirdos try to claim that santa is real why would anyone bother to try to prove otherwise?

Tell me more about this strange obsession that you have with Father Christmas.

Is the reason for it because your parents were Jehovah Witnesses and you were raised as a child in that faith?

It would explain a lot if that were the case.

They don't believe in celebrating Christmas in the traditional Christian way and therefore their children receive no Christmas presents.

That could be quite traumatising for a young child having to watch all their friends enjoying their presents while they have none.

It would explain a preference for atheism and an obsession with santa wouldn't it?

Deprived of childhood joy by a religion and still desperately hoping deep inside that santa does exist and one day............

Sorry, have to go now, it's becoming too emotional, you poor lad. :sad:

---------- Post added 27-05-2017 at 13:17 ----------

@ Carlinate & Cyclone- I'd say you're both intelligent, but, in different ways. I believe your mutual frustration is not due to rational disagreement, but, is a communication issue.

I speak from experience when I predict that, IMO, if you do not both acknowledge there is a communication issue between you, and, address it, then continuing on your present course will almost certainly only lead to greater frustration and anger. Just my opinion.

Anger?

I'm having a right laugh here, and in my opinion Cyclone is a WUM so he is doing the same in his own way.

Thanks for the concern though, I mean that sincerely, it's nice when someone tries to show empathy.

So you can't prove that Santa isn't real, yet you demand that atheists prove god isn't real.

And you can't even recognise the double standard you're applying when it's pointed out to you.

The fascination with it is that when you admit that you can't prove it, you'll realise why the position you've been espousing is incorrect. To disbelieve an extraordinary claim does not require that the claim be disproven. Disbelief is the default position unless or until some evidence to support the claim is made. Deities and santa have exactly the same level of evidence to support them, none.

I'm afraid that I was raised as were most of my friends in a very vaguely CoE household. In that if asked we were CoE, but we went to church for weddings and funerals and I concluded at a very young age that the rest of it was a load of rubbish and wishful thinking. I self identified as an atheist pretty much as soon as I learnt the word and what it meant.

So you can't prove that Santa isn't real, yet you demand that atheists prove god isn't real.

And you can't even recognise the double standard you're applying when it's pointed out to you.

The fascination with it is that when you admit that you can't prove it, you'll realise why the position you've been espousing is incorrect. To disbelieve an extraordinary claim does not require that the claim be disproven. Disbelief is the default position unless or until some evidence to support the claim is made. Deities and santa have exactly the same level of evidence to support them, none.

I'm afraid that I was raised as were most of my friends in a very vaguely CoE household. In that if asked we were CoE, but we went to church for weddings and funerals and I concluded at a very young age that the rest of it was a load of rubbish and wishful thinking. I self identified as an atheist pretty much as soon as I learnt the word and what it meant.

Are you really intending to continue with this nonsense?

Okay, no problem.

Your inability to understand simple logic is hugely amusing.

Your obsessional friend santa is an imaginary character, a fact that is acknowledged by everyone above the age of 12.

God in it's/his various forms is a being which is believed in by Billions of people around the world, past, present and future. Many of whom are, and were, far more intelligent than you or I.

The belief in God has inspired some of the most beautiful buildings and music ever created. It has led to the acceptance of moral values and the growth and domination of Empires.

Only a cretin would use the ridiculous santa analogy in this context.

Disbelief is not the default position if you are capable of reasoning. Disbelief is an opinion, a point of view. Which is not a rational view to take if you simply don't know.

I don't know is the logical position to take when you have insufficient information to form an informed opinion.

Belief or non belief are opinions with no verification, and are therefore open to being disproved and made to look stupid in hindsight.

Earlier in the thread I told you that I believed that Chelsea would win the FA cup.

Everything pointed to a Chelsea victory and virtually everyone including Ian Wright an Arsenal fanatic said that they would win.

The majority believed it, the majority were proven wrong.

A marvelous example of a belief which appeared to be perfectly rational and accepted by the majority on all the evidence available to them turning out to be wrong.

A perfect example of the difference between a belief and a fact.

I no longer believe that Chelsea will win the cup, because now I know that they did not.

Think about it I'm sure that a light will switch on eventually.

Well I believe that it will! :)

Just commenting on the previous couple of posts, your inspiring christian god is about as real as Santa, give or take. There is little or no evidence that Jesus existed and nothing that any gods do is measurable in any way. It's almost as if they want you to think that they aren't real.

Okay, no problem.

Your obsessional friend santa is an imaginary character, a fact that is acknowledged by everyone above the age of 12.

God in it's/his various forms is a being which is believed in by Billions of people around the world, past, present and future. Many of whom are, and were, far more intelligent than you or I.

The belief in God has inspired some of the most beautiful buildings and music ever created. It has led to the acceptance of moral values and the growth and domination of Empires.

Disbelief is not the default position if you are capable of reasoning. Disbelief is an opinion, a point of view. Which is not a rational view to take if you simply don't know.

I don't know is the logical position to take when you have insufficient information to form an informed opinion.

Belief or non belief are opinions with no verification, and are therefore open to being disproved and made to look stupid in hindsight.

Earlier in the thread I told you that I believed that Chelsea would win the FA cup.

Everything pointed to a Chelsea victory and virtually everyone including Ian Wright an Arsenal fanatic said that they would win.

A marvelous example of a belief which appeared to be perfectly rational and accepted by the majority on all the evidence available to them turning out to be wrong.

I no longer believe that Chelsea will win the cup, because now I know that they did not.

Could you disprove that the Fkying Spaghetti Monster is real? If you have issues with Santa....

Okay, no problem.

Okay, do you accept theist claims on the existence of the Christian God have met the burden of proof?

No, in exactly the same way that I don't accept that atheist claims on the non existence of god/gods of any kind have met the burden of proof.

Neither of them can prove their contentions, which makes their views beliefs rather than facts.

I've found this website which lists a number of god characteristics, I'm assuming the Christian god because it mentions Jesus a few times (they're hardly going to mention other gods though, are they?).

http://www.allaboutgod.com/attributes-of-god.htm

Personally, I don't believe the claims made there.

Do you believe them?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Okay, no problem.

Someone is showing a lack of logic, but I don't think it is Cyclone..

You are dismissing the Santa analogy why exactly? The exact same logical principles apply. They also apply to Zeus, or Ganesh, or Cthulhu, or any other imaginary creation.

You can't sensibly argue that God is a special case because lots of people believe, or because religion inspired great architecture. Neither point has anything do to with the burden of proof - the rules don't change just because of the number of adherents.

If you are agnostic about God because of the inability to disprove its non existence, you have to extend that logic to everything you can't prove the non existence of. Do you really live your life like that?

You contradict yourself. You don't take this position with Santa. For some reason, despite proof, you "know" that Santa isn't real. And because you recognise that this has trapped you, you call the analogy stupid, you call me a cretin and you you make yourself look more foolish as you refuse to acknowledge that your position is illogical, even though I know that you know and you know that I know that you know.

But carry on with the ad hom and irrelevance reference to how popular the belief is. Perhaps when EVERYONE believed that the world was flat you think that popularity made them right?