Labour's Income Tax Sums - is it just me?

Are you claiming that the actions of one parliament are somehow binding on the next and they can't change spending commitments?

No I'm not. I'm suggesting that many of the spending commitments and savings are things that cannot be immediately changed, they need to be brought about over time.

I'll ask again. If, as some people are maintaining, that the growing debt is the fault of the Conservatives for not immediately abolishing the entire £160-£170billion deficit upon taking office, how do you propose that they found that money?

Ahh I didn't realise about the personal allowance decrease above 100k. I'll need to adjust for that.

So problem one resolved. Labour will charge 45% tax on the decreased allowance instead of the current 40%.

New calculations raise £2,113,947,000

Glad I could help with one of the issues, for the other...erm...

If you have NO chance of getting elected into power, you can promise the moon to the electorate, it just does not matter. If Corbyn and his merry band have their way, this Country will be a busted flush with all they are offering. But it's irrelevant is it not, they will not be the next Government.

Angel1.

I don't think any government can grab back as much money as they think they can with these tax avoidance plans. No matter how smart they think they and the tax office are, accountants will always be smarter.

And:

Labour accused of hypocrisy after blocking measures to crackdown on £8.6billion tax avoidance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/28/labour-accused-hypocrisy-blocking-measures-crackdown-86billion/

Labour has been accused of hypocrisy after it blocked a planned crackdown on tax avoidance which would have raised £8.6billion for the Treasury.

Jeremy Corbyn's party forced three key measures to be dropped from the Government's finance bill earlier this week, including new rules to stop companies from shifting losses overseas to avoid corporation tax.

The chief secretary to the Treasury branded Labour "hypocrites" after the party also refused to support new fines for accountants who help their clients dodge tax and a plan to close non-dom loopholes which would have saved £1.6billion by 2022.

Edited by alchresearch

George Osborne proposed eradicating by 2015. He failed. The deficit is still extremely high and if Brexit is a disaster is only going to get worse.

Services are being viciously cut anyway. You should be asking what I want to save. There's any number of ways to get good services. The Tory way is absolutely the worse.

So you've got nothing then?

I don't think any government can grab back as much money as they think they can with these tax avoidance plans. No matter how smart they think they and the tax office are, accountants will always be smarter.

And:

Labour accused of hypocrisy after blocking measures to crackdown on £8.6billion tax avoidance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/28/labour-accused-hypocrisy-blocking-measures-crackdown-86billion/

I'd struggle to understand why Labour would vote that policy down unless there was a good reason to do so, like the new proposal have even bigger loopholes than the current ones, but I don't know enough about the specifics of the policy. On paper it doesn't look great, but equally if the Tories voted against something they were theoretically in favour of wouldn't you wonder why?