How painful is getting your tongue pierced?

I had my tongue done for about 2 ½ yrs, and I have to say, personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

It doesn't hurt to have it done (it's just so quick, you cope), however, it was agony for about a month afterwards. I had a 20mm bar in initially and my tongue was up to the balls (so to speak!). It eventually went down so I had room at either end of the bar.

But I messed with it all the time (which is unattractive in itself - not that eveyone does it of course), and it knackered my two front teeth, I have a permanent ridge in between them. I didn't feel lost without it either when I took it out, I just felt comfort.

And I disagree to the hygene thing up to a point, other piercings aren't subjected to tiny particles of food which can potentially rot near to the screw area - and mine certainly had plaque that needed shifting on a weekly basis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a mardy arse, I like the look of piercings, and the majority of people that have their tongues done seem to be ok with it, but it wasn't for me.

• 5 years later...

Archived