Name dyslexia, is it a thing?

Wondering if I have name dyslexia! You know how Trigger on Only Fools and Horses, keeps calling Rodney, 'Dave'. I know a chap called Ben (have known him for a couple of years) but keep calling him 'John'. Oh well, he'll get used to it...

Does that kind of thing happen to other people?

It probably doesn't relate to names alone. It is to do with your 'memory recall' cognitive processes. It is perfectly normal although it is probably something with a label like dyslexia.

I dont know what it is, but I bet it's hard to remember, in the same way Dyslexia is hard to spell :)

Wondering if I have name dyslexia! You know how Trigger on Only Fools and Horses, keeps calling Rodney, 'Dave'. I know a chap called Ben (have known him for a couple of years) but keep calling him 'John'. Oh well, he'll get used to it...

Does that kind of thing happen to other people?

I've heard somewhere that people with Dyslexia get names wrong (don't know how true)

The chap you call John, who's actually called Ben, do you do this to anyone else or is it just him?

The chap you call John, who's actually called Ben, do you do this to anyone else or is it just him?

It's mostly just him; though thinking about it, I have gotten other people's names confused repeatedly in the past too.

I think it's with people who I don't see much off; probably see Ben about 10 times a year.

I'm wondering if subconsciously, I don't think names are all that important and so not worth using mental resources on remembering them!

:o

It's mostly just him; though thinking about it, I have gotten other people's names confused repeatedly in the past too.

I think it's with people who I don't see much off; probably see Ben about 10 times a year.

I'm wondering if subconsciously, I don't think names are all that important and so not worth using mental resources on remembering them!

:o

Yes it's a subconscious decision you've made in calling him John...

Or is it Ben :hihi:

Rather than you suddenly having a disorder, (unless you just had a head injury) it's probably that it's not got your full attention, either in laying down the memory or in retrieval. If you definitely want to be more accurate you could use a technique like giving your imagination an image of Ann with a pan, Ben with a pen, or Brian with a brain (something that rhymes) - you get the idea. Just something that triggers that in your memory. There are loads of techniques out there.