Intimidating Buddhist 'monk' looking for moneyy

Not new.. Anyone remember that guy that used to go round town thrusting pens into people hands and then demanding money?

Many years a go, when I was unemployed, he did that to me. I walked off and he asked for payment, my mum who was with me explained my employment situation to him and he took the pen back and exchanged it for another for free. The free pen wrote with yellow ink, I never found a use for it.

I'm aware of the scam in general, some women in Covent Garden used to do it with lucky heather. Never seen the monk before.

I thought it was remarkable because he was so intimidating. I was sitting down eating and he loomed over me getting between me and my children in the pram. When he started getting a bit shorty it was not nice to be separated from my children like that, he scared me.

I'm aware of the scam in general, some women in Covent Garden used to do it with lucky heather. Never seen the monk before.

I thought it was remarkable because he was so intimidating. I was sitting down eating and he loomed over me getting between me and my children in the pram. When he started getting a bit shorty it was not nice to be separated from my children like that, he scared me.

I can remember when gypsies used to sell lucky heather in the street and they could be aggressive if you refused.

yeah I have seen a guy like this in Hillsborough, maroon robe looking like somebody's cast-off curtains. When I was growing up in a mining town in the 1960s, priests dressed in traditional Anglican / Catholic wear to go parish visiting. But we knew who they were, despite the outfit. Give him a "God Bless" and pass by.

It's done all over the world on a daily basis, the people and what they give you for "free" is different but the end game is, they want your money.

In Times Square New York it's Buddhist monks handing out charms or wannabe rappers handing out their own c.d's. It's a natural reaction to grab something which is handed to you but just don't do it. Walk past and say no with a smile or do it the NY way and walk past them without even acknowledging their existence :hihi:

Young muscular looking guy tried the cd trick on me in Times Square, held out the cd and when I wouldn't take it said " what's wrong, you don't want to shake hands with a black man ?"

I wasn't that gullible