Signing on for JSA. 1st appointment is tomorrow at JC

What shall I expect?

I used to work for the DWP years ago so to be sitting on the other side of the fence makes me feel worthless and intimadated. I hope to god the person I see is kind and not patronising or treat me like they are above me as a person.

Im dreading it.

This might be difficult to do, but at the moment, without ever having been there, you've made yourself feel worthless, intimidated and dread.

These are your emotions, they're generated inside your head, you can (although it's not easy) reduce those feelings, particularly when you realise that you've felt them without anything outside you having even happened.

What shall I expect?

I used to work for the DWP years ago so to be sitting on the other side of the fence makes me feel worthless and intimadated. I hope to god the person I see is kind and not patronising or treat me like they are above me as a person.

Im dreading it.

It's a lottery. Their admin is dire, and sanctions are rife. If, for example, you fail to attend an appointment because the letter arrives by 2nd class royal mail 2 days after the event, they'll take no account of that.

I'd hope that, in 2017, they'd provide back up options like mobile texts- if so, take advantage (whilst ensuring you keep the letter option as well).

Of the few people I know who went on JSA, some do OK, others suffer from DWP mistakes through no fault of their own. I can't say what the proportion is, hence why I call it a lottery.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

What shall I expect?

Im dreading it.

Just go in with a good attitude. Listen and be co operative then am sure you will be fine.

Certainly no reason at all to feel worthless and intimidated. As pointed out thats you doing it to yourself.

Edited by 999tigger

Turn up at the appointed time with a plan that you feel will help you get back in work.

My experience with the JC has always been positive - agree to what you feel you can achieve with job apps,job searches etc.

After you've been a couple of times, if you can't make an appointment then ring them, they often reschedule mine or accept my phone call as my signing on.

The more positive you are the more helpful i found them to be,the more of a grabber or needy type you are unfortunately the more they seem to resent the applicant.

I've been sanctioned,it isn't their fault.If they find that its the systems fault they pay up.

One other nugget of personal wisdom to pass on - ignore what every one else is asking for or appears to be getting.

Tell them you used to work in the JC, that will give you and your interviewer something in common then talk about what you used to do and how things have changed. Be cheeky and ask if they have any jobs in their office or in the DWP going at the moment. They only have a set amount of time for these interviews so chat away incessantly about anything and nothing and they will soon want to get rid of you for the next person's appointment

Interviewer was lovely. However turns out i might not be eligible for JSA. Will have to wait and see.

Oh dear.

How long will you have to wait to find out? Do you know why they couldn't they tell you at the time? Who has the final decision?

It's all just adding to the stress for people, and I don't think that's fair.

I know people who have been waiting more than 6 months for a decision on PIP, not the same thing I know, but it seems that 'waiting' and more 'waiting' has now become an integral and accepted part of the process. In the meantime I don't know what people are supposed to live on. Fresh air I suppose...

Please let us know how you go on.