Signing on for JSA. 1st appointment is tomorrow at JC

After similar trepidation, I had an initial interview recently.

It went very well, but quickly identified that part time income would eradicate any jsa.

They were very helpful.

Looking forward to another one shortly as work is coming to an end.

• 2 weeks later...
Just go in with a good attitude. Listen and be co operative then am sure you will be fine.

Certainly no reason at all to feel worthless and intimidated. As pointed out thats you doing it to yourself.

I was in Bailey Court Jobcentre about 3 weeks ago and a man asked perfectly politely if his appointment would start on time and asked how long it would take, as he had another appointment afterwards that he needed to attend. The front of house person answered sarcastically "I don't know, I didn't bring my crystal ball today". Just because you turn up with the right attitude, doesn't mean you will be treated the same in turn. Most of the decent people left in frustration at the arbitrary sanctions regime.

I was in Bailey Court Jobcentre about 3 weeks ago and a man asked perfectly politely if his appointment would start on time and asked how long it would take, as he had another appointment afterwards that he needed to attend. The front of house person answered sarcastically "I don't know, I didn't bring my crystal ball today". Just because you turn up with the right attitude, doesn't mean you will be treated the same in turn. Most of the decent people left in frustration at the arbitrary sanctions regime.

That includes a calm temperament.

As the front of house guy is usually a security guard (and certainly not the person who would advise on benefits) how would he be likely to know ?

As the front of house guy is usually a security guard (and certainly not the person who would advise on benefits) how would he be likely to know ?

That's not the point though is it? It's about treating people with respect. Would he have talked like that to the judge?

It wasn't the security guy, he was a DWP employee. If you were in that situation where someone asked you that question, what would your reply be?

That's not the point though is it? It's about treating people with respect. Would he have talked like that to the judge?

But why would the security guards attitude impact on the behaviour of the DWP staff when the interview commences.?

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 19:45 ----------

It wasn't the security guy, he was a DWP employee. If you were in that situation where someone asked you that question, what would your reply be?

What i would do if i was the interviewee, i would have brought the guys attitude to the attention of someone else.

As i've mentioned numerous times, benefits are an entitlement which you will receive, sanctions are imposed for breaking the rules that isn't the fault of the person holding the interview.

How about "I'm sorry, I don't know"?

Yes, that would be perfectly acceptable wouldn't it? There's absolutely no need to be rude to people. Unfortunately some jumped up little gits like to abuse the bit of power over others.

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 20:33 ----------

But why would the security guards attitude impact on the behaviour of the DWP staff when the interview commences.?

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 19:45 ----------

What i would do if i was the interviewee, i would have brought the guys attitude to the attention of someone else.

As i've mentioned numerous times, benefits are an entitlement which you will receive, sanctions are imposed for breaking the rules that isn't the fault of the person holding the interview.

As I already said, it wasn't the security guard.

Many people claiming benefits have mental health needs, learning disabilities, brain injuries, etc. which can make it harder for people to regulate their behaviour. If the staff start winding people up, some of those people can say or do things that can lead to sanctions. I knew one man with quite severe mental health problems who ended up being banned from the Jobcentre because they had no idea how to talk to him and help him keep calm. Our service never had any problems with him, but then we treat everyone with respect.