The" leaders" debate

I don't know what Labour will do. I'm suggesting that the scare stories around having to quickly find hundreds of billions of quid in a short time are complete nonsense. In practical terms it simply cannot work that way. Even the manifesto commitments allow for a huge amount of flexibility. And most importantly they are commitments with huge public support.

The Tory alternative is?

So the manifesto isn't a list of what Labour will do if they get into power?

What have I made assumptions on? All I've done is said how much it would cost. Are you disputing how much it would cost based on the Manifesto and not your 'idea'?

Because your 'idea' doesn't hold much weight unless you are Jeremy Corbyn or other senior member of the Labour party.

You've said how much it could cost based on your own assumptions. So yeah that is in dispute because unless you can prove your assumptions correct it's just hyperbole.

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 13:27 ----------

So the manifesto isn't a list of what Labour will do if they get into power?

How would I know

You've said how much it could cost based on your own assumptions. So yeah that is in dispute because unless you can prove your assumptions correct it's just hyperbole.

I suppose it's fairly easy to work out how much the companies are worth at the moment so unless Labour are just going to grab them ( goodbye pensions by the way if that happens) then they'll have to pay the going rate.. is there any other way to do it? Genuine question..

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 13:28 ----------

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 13:27 ----------

How would I know

You seem certain that they won't be doing it...

It's very obvious that Labour are buying favour with promises that they know they won't have to keep.

Amber Rudd did not invent the phrase "magic money tree". It's pretty common vernacular and I've been using it to explain Jezza and Di's figures/policies for weeks.

I'm sorry that my using said phrase has upset you so.

In response to Amber Rudd's goading of Corbyn about the magic money tree, Jeremy Corbyn should've said "Amber knows all about the magic money tree. Hers is a tax haven in the Bahamas."

I suppose it's fairly easy to work out how much the companies are worth at the moment so unless Labour are just going to grab them ( goodbye pensions by the way if that happens) then they'll have to pay the going rate.. is there any other way to do it? Genuine question..

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 13:28 ----------

You seem certain that they won't be doing it...

Ah no, I'm only certain that it won't be what your silly scare stories suggest it will be.

Those invested in railway operators, energy and water utilities or Royal Mail face seeing these businesses renationalised. Whether you profit or not would depend on what price you paid for your shares, and how much Labour had to stump up to buy out private investors.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-4511686/What-does-Labour-manifesto-mean-money.html

I'll make them pay top dollar for my shares!

My silly scare stories?..I've only asked how much it'll cost...

Nope, you seem to be suggesting some Soviet-style rapid nationalisation costing hundreds of billions of quid.

The manifesto has not said that would happen so you are costing some fantasy that is in your head. Don't be surprised if people fail to indulge your reds under the bed paranoia

What have I made assumptions on? All I've done is said how much it would cost. Are you disputing how much it would cost based on the Manifesto and not your 'idea'?

Because your 'idea' doesn't hold much weight unless you are Jeremy Corbyn or other senior member of the Labour party.

You've based your cost estimate on the utilities' shares market values, which is fair and logical enough...but seemingly assumed all along that Labour would renationalise by buying the utilities' shares at market value.

"Appropriate compensation" is the relevant expression under statutes. That's not synonymous with "market value" (...except for rabid capitalists, and shareholders :hihi:)

And as seen with those utilities hinged on licensing continuation (clearly referred to in truman's excerpt), compensation need not even be put into play (subject to the licensing expiry terms and caveats of course, happy to stand corrected, if someone cares to link me to those).

Post is for debating balance. I'm neither Tory, nor Labour, but pretty much the centrist by excellence.

You'd get what is eventually settled as "appropriate compensation" :)