When did you last check your car lights?

:huh:

Hmmm...

... I think it's something to do with the electrons in the wire getting older.

When they're in their prime they form a strong link with others allowing the electrickery to flow between them, but as they get older they also get weaker and more negative about their current situation, until one of them eventually loses their grasp on reality and the chain is broken... :(

Cue violin music!?

You need a degree in motor maintenance to change a light bulb on a modern car.

I find the user manual and a relevant size small spanner adequate. I seem to see lots of people with at least one bulb blown every 10 cars in the evenings

Some cars with Xeon lights need something resetting when The bulb goes ,on my c5 exclusive the charge on having a headlight bulb fitting and the resetting was around £250

It cost me the princely sum of £1.50 to change the headlight bulb on my Boxer the other day. £250 is a total rip off. :gag:

One possible way to make bulbs last longer is to under-run them. A car's voltage regulator is usually in the alternator and it will cut off at 14.7 volts. But when the car sits without the engine running the battery voltage falls to 12.5 or less and the bulb keeps on glowing. The difference in bulb life when switched on and compared with the figure obtained at each of these two extreme voltages, is significant. If incandescent bulbs are replaced with LEDs the life of the lamp increases far more. If the life is high enough there is no need to replace the lamp. It will outlast the car. In that case the connection to the LEDs should be soldered rather than have them rely on pieces of metal in the connector resisting corrosion sufficiently to prevent them going high resistance. A car's environment is damp and corrosive in UK winter so manufacturers should make them accordingly.

Edited by woolyhead

do you think the filament in a bulb gradually gets thinner with time until it breaks? If it does, as I suspect, its resistance must slowly increase with time, mustn't it? If it does then a resistance meter could warn us the bulb is nearing the end of its life, couldn't it?

Yes quite true that’s why with a house bulb you notice it getting dimmer until a sudden surge putting the light on blow’s it, unfortunately it’s a good idea but who has the time and patience to remove all your bulbs for a meter check just to see which one’s are on the way out. :(

Again well explained by Woolhead

One possible way to make bulbs last longer is to under-run them. A car's voltage regulator is usually in the alternator and it will cut off at 14.7 volts. But when the car sits without the engine running the battery voltage falls to 12.5 or less and the bulb keeps on glowing. The difference in bulb life when switched on and compared with the figure obtained at each of these two extreme voltages, is significant. If incandescent bulbs are replaced with LEDs the life of the lamp increases far more. If the life if high enough there is no need to replace the lamp. It will outlast the car. In that case the connection to the LEDs should be soldered rather than have them rely on pieces of metal in the connector resisting corrosion sufficiently to prevent them going high resistance. A car's environment is damp and corrosive in UK winter so manufacturers should make them accordingly. UN- Qoute

Did you know that in older cars the alternator would keep the battery topped up when the engine was idling, modern day cars do not I found this out when I needed a new battery, with only doing short runs, never getting over 3000rpm, charging revs, I drained my battery every time I switched the engine on they are called smart alternators, was I told right.

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 19:29 ----------

How would a tester know its connected

I’m not an auto electrician but guessing that when you test the wiring negative and positive, live and earth on the bulb or holder it would make a circuit --- yes :huh:

Edited by MEC176