Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

Yes, just ban anyone from doing something that you haven’t got the bottle, initiative or drive to attempt yourself, this is just why the messiah Corbyn will never make it to the finish line. :)

I often watch 'Homes Under the Hammer', with total astonishment at the ingenuity, bravery and nerve of the participants at buying a property, doing it up, (often in Magnolia, with a bit of duck egg blue to show off their creativity), and renting it out to people who perhaps people would like to buy a home to live in, but for some reason can't get on the property ladder.

I come away thinking gosh, such originality.

Guest makapaka
I often watch 'Homes Under the Hammer', with total astonishment at the ingenuity, bravery and nerve of the participants at buying a property, doing it up, (often in Magnolia, with a bit of duck egg blue to show off their creativity), and renting it out to people who perhaps people would like to buy a home to live in, but for some reason can't get on the property ladder.

Amazing isn’t it - it’s the bit where they pay the letting agent to manage the rental for them that always strikes me as real genius.

And the way they gravel the garden to keep the maintenance down.

That takes bottle.

£70000 is not cheap to someone on £15000 a year.

£70000 would probably get you an ex council house on a council estate I’d imagine?

Right on the first count, wrong on the second.

I'm not sure there was ever a time when a single person on half the average wage was buying a three bed semi in Crosspool without help.

A young couple on £15k each can still buy a decent terrace in Rotherham though.

I'm not sure there was ever a time when a single person on half the average wage was buying a three bed semi in Crosspool without help.

With undecent neighbours.

Guest makapaka
Right to buy started well before Thatcher

Thatcher legislated on it.

---------- Post added 19-05-2018 at 01:53 ----------

Who’s talking about Crosspool - and what if you’re from Sheffield and don’t want to live in Rotherham?

Who’s talking about Crosspool - and what if you’re from Sheffield and don’t want to live in Rotherham?

I suppose that someone could apply to the Elders for a home on the moon on a stick. Otherwise see my earlier comment about adjusting expectations. If someone wants to own their home they will be prepared to make sacrifices just as people did decades ago. Some people will never own a home because they are not able to earn enough. It's always been that way.

"It's alright for you"I hear you cry! My own experience: grew up in north Sheffield, bought first home with partner almost in Worksop because I could afford it, and commuted to Sheffield or Barnsley. After a few moves and career progressions I now live in a nice house in a nice part of west Sheffield.

Things don't happen overnight and you need to struggle a bit to get on. Moaning or hoping for a house price crash is a complete waste of energy which won't change a thing.

£70000 is not cheap to someone on £15000 a year.

£70000 would probably get you an ex council house on a council estate I’d imagine?

Not cheap? My wife and I bought our house in 1981 for £15,000 about £60,000 today the interest rate was %14-15 we both worked for the NHS earning £4,000 a year between us. It was hard but we got on with it. There wasn't anything like the benefits of today to help us. Things did get a lot easier has our wages got better and the rates fell. In life you take the rough with the smooth So I think £70.000 is cheap especially with today's rates.

Edited by hobinfoot

Who hasn’t got the bottle, initiative or drive?

Do you think it’s right that some people own 20 houses and some people have 0?

Yes because whatever the state of the property market the ones with 0 would still have 0.

^^^I’ve been saying this for years.

It’s people’s expectations that need to be reset, not the housing market.

Years ago, couples setting out would have got married and lived with a set of parents perhaps whilst saving up. Then bought a fixer-upper, not had 2 cars, luxuries and holidays. Gradually traded up over the next 10 years until they could finally afford something decent, where they wanted to live, not just where they could afford to live.

These days people expect to be able to skip the hardship years.