Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

He already owns a property, but is bemoaning the fact his colleagues would like to buy, but are forced to rent. Sorry to burst your ego, but he's not jealous

rubbish! he says hes the lucky one and others cant buy and he also says 2nd homes should be taxed at 90% thats jealousy

Guest makapaka
I am not questioning whether people should own property. As you have rightly said, there is no law prohibiting it. What I am asking is why people think they are entitled to own a property in the first place.

There's a difference between entitlement and opportunity.

People aren't entitled to a job, but it's right that they should have the opportunity to get one.

People aren't entitled to a further education but they should have the opportunity to get one.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 11:44 ----------

The irony. :huh:

Emotion used.

What's ironic about it?

Why do people have to be jealous to disagree with something?

There's a difference between entitlement and opportunity.

People aren't entitled to a job, but it's right that they should have the opportunity to get one.

People aren't entitled to a further education but they should have the opportunity to get one.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 11:44 ----------

What's ironic about it?

Why do people have to be jealous to disagree with something?

Have you pointed your renting workmates in the direction of the 474 local homes under £70k yet? What did they say?

Guest makapaka
Have you pointed your renting workmates in the direction of the 474 local homes under £70k yet? What did they say?

I don't have any renting workmates you've confused me with another poster.

That said the 474 local homes you keep referring is a bit of a misnomer. If you enter Sheffield into Rightmove it gives 180 properties - if you filter on houses there are 62.

The £70k price is then banded about like its the kind of money you find down the back of a sofa. If you were on £15k a year that's c. 4.5 to 4.75 salary - maxed out - to look at 62 homes in areas you potentially dislike or is unsuitable for work / schools / transport etc.

Doesn't seem quite so straightforward now.

So anything you don't agree with is jealousy

No but to say people with 2 houses or more should be taxed 90 % definitely is:roll:

get up off your backside stop smoking drinking wasting money and feeling entitled and you can get a house under 70k , my daughter is doing it at 21 with no help from me either. worked and saved since 14 and now she has enough for a 10% deposit on a £150k house.

I don't have any renting workmates you've confused me with another poster.

That said the 474 local homes you keep referring is a bit of a misnomer. If you enter Sheffield into Rightmove it gives 180 properties - if you filter on houses there are 62.

The £70k price is then banded about like its the kind of money you find down the back of a sofa. If you were on £15k a year that's c. 4.5 to 4.75 salary - maxed out - to look at 62 homes in areas you potentially dislike or is unsuitable for work / schools / transport etc.

Doesn't seem quite so straightforward now.

£70k is about two and a half times the average individual wage. I think it's a reasonable benchmark for the discussion..

I hope that you're not labouring under the impression that there was ever a time when a single person on half the average wage could pick and choose between a vast stock of cheap quality property in convenient locations.

That never happened. Never. Ever. Never.

Guest makapaka
£70k is about two and a half times the average individual wage. I think it's a reasonable benchmark for the discussion..

I hope that you're not labouring under the impression that there was ever a time when a single person on half the average wage could pick and choose between a vast stock of cheap quality property in convenient locations.

That never happened. Never. Ever. Never.

Well maybe not but the point that it's harder still stands and is evidenced time and again by the disproportionate houses prices compared with earnings.

Telling people there are 474 available properties for "just" £70k when;

1. There arent 474 available properties

2. 70k is still a lot of money and is more like 3.5 times the average wage rather than 2.5 times.

3. 70k now buys you a limited number of houses - mainly in what appear to be ex. council houses when 20 years ago that was almost double what you could get a house in say - Walkley/Crookes - for.

No one is saying people are entitled to it - but arguing that there isn't an issue - or "'twas ever thus" - is just wrong.