Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

Guest makapaka
No but to say people with 2 houses or more should be taxed 90 % definitely is:roll:

get up off your backside stop smoking drinking wasting money and feeling entitled and you can get a house under 70k , my daughter is doing it at 21 with no help from me either. worked and saved since 14 and now she has enough for a 10% deposit on a £150k house.

It's wrong to say people are wasting money or are lazy.

It's admirable that your daughter has saved £15k but a £135k mortgage means she must be earning a very good wage well in excess of the average wage.

Therefore not everyone will have the same earning capacity.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 14:34 ----------

It was always hard. Always.

You'll realise it one day.

But not as hard as it is now.

And what will I realise one day? What is going to happen to change my mind?

It's wrong to say people are wasting money or are lazy.

It's admirable that your daughter has saved £15k but a £135k mortgage means she must be earning a very good wage well in excess of the average wage.

Therefore not everyone will have the same earning capacity.

no its not wrong i see it every day feckless youth not all but a good proportion who think they are entitled. i met a young arab guy the other day who at 20 flys all over the world doing his hobby/ business of photography....how does he do it?? he works 2 jobs and runs his photo website ,one at B&Q daytime and then packs biscuits at night in a factory, what a great guy he was to talk to the entitled youth could learn something there and be able to buy a house for 70k = easy

not looking for admiration but thank you its how she was brought up she respects money and can spend it as well, she doesnt earn a fantastic wage approx 32k never went to uni straight out of school and college, so not much more than the average wage?

Guest makapaka
no its not wrong i see it every day feckless youth not all but a good proportion who think they are entitled. i met a young arab guy the other day who at 20 flys all over the world doing his hobby/ business of photography....how does he do it?? he works 2 jobs and runs his photo website ,one at B&Q daytime and then packs biscuits at night in a factory, what a great guy he was to talk to the entitled youth could learn something there and be able to buy a house for 70k = easy

not looking for admiration but thank you its how she was brought up she respects money and can spend it as well, she doesnt earn a fantastic wage approx 32k never went to uni straight out of school and college, so not much more than the average wage?

It’s £10k higher than the average wage and I would imagine even more than the average for someone her age.

No one is arguing that being feckless should be rewarded but there are plenty of People who aren’t feckless and find it difficult.

But not as hard as it is now.

And what will I realise one day? What is going to happen to change my mind?

No it's just the same. You and your partner can buy a £70k home right now if you are anything like the average. Maybe just go and do it instead of not doing it?

Every generation has had problems getting a house.

The problems change but it is still about getting an income, getting a deposit and making the payments.

The advantage current young buyers have is making much smaller payments because of the length of the mortgage and the lowest ever interest rates.

The joint incomes of couples over a lifetime are higher than they have ever been.

The downside is that larger deposits are required.

Some posters seem to confuse the needs of singles and couples.

Financially the running costs of a pair are relatively less.

A young single person might aspire to a larger property but they do not need one.

Guest makapaka
No it's just the same. You and your partner can buy a £70k home right now if you are anything like the average. Maybe just go and do it instead of not doing it?

So your solution to the housing issue for the citirs young people I is that there are 60 houses in the market for £70k and regardless of any other criteria they may have they should just buy one of them?

I am not questioning whether people should own property. As you have rightly said, there is no law prohibiting it. What I am asking is why people think they are entitled to own a property in the first place.

Depends what you mean (in this context) by entitled.

We are also entitled not to own a property, so we have that choice.

If we decide to own a property then we undertake complete responsibility for it and that comes at a price usually in the form of a mortgage etc, However, we also have the the power to sell.

If we don't want to own it then we will have to live in someone else's property (be it private or public) which usually demands, unless we can get it subsidized, a price to be paid in the form of a weekly rent.

So your solution to the housing issue for the citirs young people I is that there are 60 houses in the market for £70k and regardless of any other criteria they may have they should just buy one of them?

Usually the critical criteria are

Cost (for most people the deposit)which is dictated by Location and Size

Affordability of mortgage payments which is dependent on incomes

Other factors are often aspirational or cosmetic.

Other choices are available.

Unless they buy one of the 474 local £70k homes listed on Rightmove.

Which would apply if we were only talking about Sheffield I suppose, but we aren't.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 18:20 ----------

I am not questioning whether people should own property. As you have rightly said, there is no law prohibiting it. What I am asking is why people think they are entitled to own a property in the first place.

They think that they should be afforded the same opportunities that their parents and grandparents had.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:34 ----------

Location is pretty important. Like if I have a job in London then an affordable house in Sheffield doesn't really work. :roll:

Guest makapaka

Yes that’s right - what are the other choices?