Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

The two main problems with renting is the cost and the insecurity.

There should be a rent cap to deal with the first, and much more social housing for the second.

At the moment people can get turfed out of their rented accommodation through absolutely no fault of their own. This means no end of upheaval for families, new schools for the kids etc.

I think council tenants should have the right to buy, but not sell on for x number of years, and most importantly, the money from the sale MUST be put into building new council houses. If that had been done in the past we wouldn't have the crisis we have today.

and much more social housing for the second.

The total lack of social housing is what has created this problem in the first place, everything was sold off in the 80's & 90's and now there's nothing left.

People still need somewhere to live so the private market boomed.

I think council tenants should have the right to buy, but not sell on for x number of years

From what I understand that is already the case.

The two main problems with renting is the cost and the insecurity.

There should be a rent cap to deal with the first, and much more social housing for the second.

At the moment people can get turfed out of their rented accommodation through absolutely no fault of their own. This means no end of upheaval for families, new schools for the kids etc.

I think council tenants should have the right to buy, but not sell on for x number of years, and most importantly, the money from the sale MUST be put into building new council houses. If that had been done in the past we wouldn't have the crisis we have today.

This is already in place, if you sell your right to buy within 5 years of purchase you have to pay some or all of the discount back that you got.

Also someone mentioned taxing second properties, this is already in place also. Anyone buying a second or further property has to by an extra 3% stamp duty land tax.

Some landlords are parasites and treat tenants horrendously, but most landlords are normal people who decided to invest in property.

Maybe all that would happen is rents would rise to cover the extra tax? Or do you reckon landlords wouldn't pass it on to the tennant?

The intention would be to convert tenants into home owners.

---------- Post added 05-06-2017 at 12:19 ----------

This is already in place, if you sell your right to buy within 5 years of purchase you have to pay some or all of the discount back that you got.

Also someone mentioned taxing second properties, this is already in place also. Anyone buying a second or further property has to by an extra 3% stamp duty land tax.

Some landlords are parasites and treat tenants horrendously, but most landlords are normal people who decided to invest in property.

I'm talking about really taxing landlords to make it financially not viable to buy to rent.

I hear what you're saying regarding fair landlords however they are still depriving first time buyers from getting onto the bottom rung of the housing ladder.

What if they don't want to buy?

Not everyone renting wants to buy a house.

That's a very good point.

Rent from the council perhaps when the balance swings from renting to home ownership?

It's not sympathy I'm seeking

It's a massive change in the buy-to-let fiasco that I want.

Regardless of mine or your views. It's going to change either through new legislation or when landlords get too greedy and force tenants to demand a change in the buy-to-let market.

It's coming, that's pretty damn clear.

I rent a couple of houses out.

Most of my tenants don't want to buy. They are 20 somethings first job, wanting somewhere to stay for a couple of years to perhaps five years whilst they get their career going. They rent for six months to a year, then either extend or they need somewhere bigger because they are having a baby. Occassionally they stay 2 or three years.

None of them want to buy a house. It ties them down too much to one place and moving house take too long when sitting in a chain.

That's a very good point.

Rent from the council perhaps when the balance swings from renting to home ownership?

Not everyone qualifies for a council house and there aren't enough anyway...(that's why there's such a lot of private landlords)

Edited by truman

There aren't any set plans to build many more either.

If you move against private landlords now you'll either put the price of rent up through the roof, or more worryingly you'll force them to sell and put innocent tenants out on the street.

Not everyone wants to buy, not everyone is in a position to buy - if you force landlords to sell where are these people going to go?

Off topic (slightly) I saw an interesting statistic last night that said the country with the highest home ownership in Europe was Bulgaria with 97%. I know this was an old communist country but I'd be intrigued to know how they got to that level i.e did they give the houses away (it would stop landlords making millions)