Josef Locke in Sheffield.

Any oldies know when Jo Locke was performing in the city, and anyone got any stories of him ?

There are some videos on YT of his appearances on an Irish TV show in older age. It seems the stories of the tax evasion were gross exaggerations, it was eventually sorted out at the time with the tax authorities ( his solicitor being an ex-revenue employee !).

The film 'Hear my Song' , which is only loosely based on his life, is well worth a watch, especially the unexpected and hilarious ending; pity about the un-necessary bad language though.

His appearance on the Royal Variety Performance, again in older age, was a surprise at the time, and wasn't Princess Diana instrumental in getting him into the public eye again ?

He looked better when he was more portly I thought, but that's ageing I suppose. He was a top performer in his day. RIP Jo. "We'll come and find the place where you are lying, and kneel and say an Ave there for you."

He was known as the Singing Policeman as that's what he was before stardom, I have around six c.d.s of his, his rendition of Macushla is brilliant.

I recall many years ago a segment on 'Look North' about Josef Locke getting married in Chesterfield, perhaps he or his wife had connections to that area then.

I know he made a film at 'Mancunian Films' in Longsight, a cowboy film I think. That studio, around the same time, also made the comedy films starring Frank Randle of 'forget the script' fame. The building was eventually taken over by the BBC for some productions, still there and now used as a BBC storage place I believe, unless they've moved it to their new Salford Quay's site.

I can remember my mother taking me to see him at the old Empire Sheffield.That must have been in the early 50s. I think he waved his white handkerchief while he was singing Goodbye.

My uncle was the musical director and conductor at that time , what a grand Theatre the Empire was so sad to see the buildings that have taken its place on Charles Street.

I know he made a film at 'Mancunian Films' in Longsight, a cowboy film I think. That studio, around the same time, also made the comedy films starring Frank Randle of 'forget the script' fame. The building was eventually taken over by the BBC for some productions, still there and now used as a BBC storage place I believe, unless they've moved it to their new Salford Quay's site.

Was that the old converted church the BBC used for such programmes as the original Top of the Pops and Z-Cars ?

Was that the old converted church the BBC used for such programmes as the original Top of the Pops and Z-Cars ?

That's correct, stpetre, it's just around the corner from the old Longsight library; I think it may be on Slade Lane, but not checked.

Nearby there is a lodging house for actors where many famous people have stayed over the years. I forget just where, but I knew the wardrobe chap from the BBC back in the 70's and he once took me in; framed, signed photos of all who stayed there were on the walls, all the top names.I don't know if it's still there, but there should be some mention of it on some theatre sites somewhere as it was often joked about by actors during interviews etc. due to the no-nonsense landlady.

The big BBC building on Oxford Road was abandoned when the they moved to Salford Quays and has recently been demolished and a new building is going up on the site right now.

Salford Quays is worth a visit, for as well as the various TV studios, there is the Lowry Centre and the War Museum there. Combine this with the Science Museum and the Air Museum in central Manchester ( next to one another) and you'll have a good day out. From Sheffield it's about £18 return on the train to Manchester Piccadilly station,then right outside is the free circular bus which passes the museums and then you get the tram to Salford Quays.