Josef Locke in Sheffield.

The one in the old church building was on Birch Lane, not Slade Lane as I thought. Just looked on Google Earth and it's been demolished. It's right on the corner of the main road and Plymouth Grove junction. The satellite view just shows waste land there now with the shape of a cross visible where it stood. I didn't know of the one you mention Jim, that's probably gone also ?

For years there was someone called 'MR.X' doing the clubs (c 1980's ). It was assumed by his appearance and his Josef Locke act that it was Joe. The idea was put about that it was Joe himself and that he was sneaking back into England from Ireland using 'Mr.X' to avoid the tax people. I never saw him, but I phoned the agent and he gave the impression it was Joe but wouldn't say yea or nay. His act was ruined I suppose when the real Joe was 're-discovered' with his Royal Variety appearance and media interviews. I don't know if he needed Joe's approval for the impersonation, but the later film 'Hear My song' features an impersonator who must be based on this 'Mr.X'.

Thanks for all the replies, nice to know he's remembered

The one in the old church building was on Birch Lane, not Slade Lane as I thought. Just looked on Google Earth and it's been demolished. It's right on the corner of the main road and Plymouth Grove junction. The satellite view just shows waste land there now with the shape of a cross visible where it stood. I didn't know of the one you mention Jim, that's probably gone also ?

For years there was someone called 'MR.X' doing the clubs (c 1980's ). It was assumed by his appearance and his Josef Locke act that it was Joe. The idea was put about that it was Joe himself and that he was sneaking back into England from Ireland using 'Mr.X' to avoid the tax people. I never saw him, but I phoned the agent and he gave the impression it was Joe but wouldn't say yea or nay. His act was ruined I suppose when the real Joe was 're-discovered' with his Royal Variety appearance and media interviews. I don't know if he needed Joe's approval for the impersonation, but the later film 'Hear My song' features an impersonator who must be based on this 'Mr.X'.

Thanks for all the replies, nice to know he's remembered

I could be wrong but I thought the 'converted church' and the BBC Dickenson Road studio were the same place.

I could be wrong but I thought the 'converted church' and the BBC Dickenson Road studio were the same place.

It was in a converted church. I think we might all be talking about the same place. Dickenson Road has a junction with Birch Lane but it's my recollection that the studio was close to the Wilmslow Road end.

There's a photo of it here:

http://www.manchesterbeat.com/features/tv_radio/topofthepops/topofthepops.php

Edited by Jim Hardie
Link added

That's correct, stpetre, it's just around the corner from the old Longsight library; I think it may be on Slade Lane, but not checked.

Nearby there is a lodging house for actors where many famous people have stayed over the years. I forget just where, but I knew the wardrobe chap from the BBC back in the 70's and he once took me in; framed, signed photos of all who stayed there were on the walls, all the top names.I don't know if it's still there, but there should be some mention of it on some theatre sites somewhere as it was often joked about by actors during interviews etc. due to the no-nonsense landlady.

The big BBC building on Oxford Road was abandoned when the they moved to Salford Quays and has recently been demolished and a new building is going up on the site right now.

Salford Quays is worth a visit, for as well as the various TV studios, there is the Lowry Centre and the War Museum there. Combine this with the Science Museum and the Air Museum in central Manchester ( next to one another) and you'll have a good day out. From Sheffield it's about £18 return on the train to Manchester Piccadilly station,then right outside is the free circular bus which passes the museums and then you get the tram to Salford Quays.

Good grief Yorkshire 53 are you also known as Buzz Lightyear:)

A few years ago I took a 5th form school party on a day trip to visit the Imperial War Museum (North) at Salford Quays and we were pushed for time covering most of the exhibits in there in the time available.

I do agree with you that there are some excellent attractions to visit in Manchester and Salford and many are free but I would allow a day for each one.

echo.

You're right, Echo, it would take a day for the Fred Dibnah's among us to do just the fantastic Science Museum.

Talking of Fred ( off on another tangent ), the Bolton Museum is also very good. Amongst all the machinery etc., they have a very realistic bronze bust of Fred Dibnah, complete with cap and glasses; plus the civic centre has some very good, old architecture including the Town Hall and the later crescent which are worthy of admiration.

I had to look up Buzz Lightyear. I'm more that lad in the 1950's comics who pressed a gadget on his wrist to operate remote control models, tanks and such ,back when the technology didn't then exist.

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 13:34 ----------

My uncle was the musical director and conductor at that time , what a grand Theatre the Empire was so sad to see the buildings that have taken its place on Charles Street.

Your uncle must have met some very great entertainers samssong, have you any stories he related ? I once saw Arthur Haynes ( " Up to my neck in muck and bullets." ) walking through Fitzalan Square, I expect he was on at the Empire ?

My mum loved him, and was always singing his songs. I can remember her singing to my baby sister 'Hear my song Violetta' Mum's name was Violet Joan. I think she saw him, would it be The Palace on Union St?

My mum loved him, and was always singing his songs. I can remember her singing to my baby sister 'Hear my song Violetta' Mum's name was Violet Joan. I think she saw him, would it be The Palace on Union St?

It would be the Empire theatre Minimo, the Palace picture house was opposite, yes both on Union Street.

Edited by stpetre
add

[quote=Yorkshire 53;11675695)

I had to look up Buzz Lightyear. I'm more that lad in the 1950's comics who pressed a gadget on his wrist to operate remote control models, tanks and such ,back when the technology didn't then exist.

---------- Post added 10-06-2017 at 13:34 ----------

Your uncle must have met some very great entertainers samssong, have you any stories he related ? I once saw Arthur Haynes ( " Up to my neck in muck and bullets." ) walking through Fitzalan Square, I expect he was on at the Empire ?

My uncle was Maurice Newton who was the musical director.

There are various local history books that mention his long carer at the Empire Palace theatre on Charles Street one of them written by my friends John Firminger and Dave Manvell entitled Curtain up at the Empire.

Maurice was a first World war hero who was wounded at Passchendaele and served deep into Russia where he travelled by reindeer slay.

He conducted the Empire Orchestra through the second World war when Sheffield was being bombed by the Germans .

He along with many other Sheffielders who have contributed so much to Sheffield history and have been forgotten should have one of those stars out side the Town Hall .