No to Austerity!

But has it gone up in real terms? Or has it gone down in relation to the increased PFI payments?

It's probably gone down in real terms, cant be bothered to check as I am only comparing to Iceland. But Iceland's went down in real as well as monetary terms.

Here's a wiki page on the 2009 Icelandic financial crisis protests

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Icelandic_financial_crisis_protests

It sounds like the population rebelled (successfully), got rid of the old parliament, and, managed to go to extraordinary lengths to replace it with a government that was actually representative of the population.

And the new one still made cuts.

I don't know how longer I can repeat the same thing and people yet still make up their own narrative.

And the new one still made cuts.

I don't know how longer I can repeat the same thing and people yet still make up their own narrative.

I'm not saying the new one didn't make cuts.

Just that Iceland chose a very different way of handling things (they threw out the government and replaced it with a representative one).

I'm not saying the new one didn't make cuts.

Just that Iceland chose a very different way of handling things (they threw out the government and replaced it with a representative one).

We've had 3 elections since the financial crash. Labour haven't come close to winning any of them.

Ok, I'll rephrase. We've had 3 elections since and Tories have had the most seats each time. The people (as they did in Iceland) have spoken.

We don't have a representative political system.

Iceland's population, recognising that status quo political systems are necessarily corrupt and unrepresentative, did something different-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Icelandic_financial_crisis_protests][/url]

Citizen forums and Constitutional changing

See also: Icelandic constitutional reform, 2010–13

Taking its cue from nationwide protests and lobbying efforts by civil organisations, the new governing parties decided that Iceland's citizens should be involved in creating a new constitution and started to debate a bill on 4 November 2009 about that purpose. Parallel to the protests and parliament deliverance, citizens started to unite in grassroots-based think-tanks. A National Forum was organised on 14 November 2009 (Icelandic: Þjóðfundur 2009), in the form of an assembly of Icelandic citizens at the Laugardalshöll in Reykjavík, by a group of grassroots citizen movements such as Anthill. The Forum would settle the ground for the 2011 Constitutional Assembly and was streamed via the Internet to the public.

1,500 people were invited to participate in the assembly; of these, 1,200 were chosen at random from the national registry, while 300 were representatives of companies, institutions and other groups. Participants represented a cross section of Icelandic society, ranging in age from 18 to 88 and spanning all six constituencies of Iceland, with 73, 77, 89, 365 and 621 people attending from the Northwest Constituency, Northeast Constituency, South Constituency, Southwest Constituency and Reykjavík (combined), respectively; 47% of the attendants were women, while 53% were men.

On 16 June 2010 the Constitutional Act was accepted by parliament and a new Forum was summoned.[32][33] The Constitutional Act prescribed that the participants of the Forum had to be randomly sampled from the National Population Register, "with due regard to a reasonable distribution of participants across the country and an equal division between genders, to the extent possible".[34] The National Forum 2010 was initiated by the government on 6 November 2010 and had 950 random participants, organized in subcommisions, which would present a 700-page document that would be the basis for constitutional changes, which would debate a future Constitutional Assembly. The Forum 2010 came into being due to the efforts of both governing parties and the Anthill group. A seven-headed Constitutional Committee, appointed by the parliament, was charged with the supervision of the forum and the presentation of its results, while the organization and facilitation of the National Forum 2010 was done by the Anthill group that had organized the first Forum 2009.

---------- Post added 23-06-2017 at 12:39 ----------

They also put the former Prime Minister Geir Haarde on trial for his part in the financial crisis, which is as unusual as it is refreshing :)

We don't have a representative political system.

Iceland's population, recognising that status quo political systems are necessarily corrupt and unrepresentative, did something different-

Yeah we also had a referendum on that.