No to Austerity!

You clearly know what I meant but OK.

Renationalise train services, Royal mail, water companies and power.

We're not talking about the Conservative manifesto though. It was more accurate in that it had a numbers in it. But the numbers were made up.

Example 1 - By reducing Corporation Tax the Tories have increased the amount of tax they raise by a massive amount. Raising it again is not going to increase the tax raised.

The FT disagrees. None of the increase in CT revenue is down to a lower rate.

https://www.ft.com/content/ca3e5bd2-2a7e-11e7-9ec8-168383da43b7?mhq5j=e1

I think that is what it is about, yes. I don't think it was anything to do with any flavour of Brexit. We have had seven years of cuts and people have had enough of it. May was offering only more of the same.

But just what good have the cuts made?

Where has the money gone that is suppose to have been saved?

Our deficit is worse than under Labour so it certainly hasn't gone towards paying the deficit off.

But just what good have the cuts made?

Where has the money gone that is suppose to have been saved?

Our deficit is worse than under Labour so it certainly hasn't gone towards paying the deficit off.

Wrong point of view. Think how much worse the public finances would have been if we had spent even more money we dont have.

Money only comes from 2 sources.

Borrowing or taxes. Due to being in recession then tax receipts are always lower and at the same time demands on welfare benefits are always higher. Public finances were already in a very poor state when the Cons took power because Labour had spent too much an we were in a poor state to deal with the recession.

Wrong point of view. Think how much worse the public finances would have been if we had spent even more money we dont have.

Money only comes from 2 sources.

Borrowing or taxes. Due to being in recession then tax receipts are always lower and at the same time demands on welfare benefits are always higher. Public finances were already in a very poor state when the Cons took power because Labour had spent too much an we were in a poor state to deal with the recession.

This is the wrong point of view. The neoconservative New Labour government had no choice but to respond to the global financial scandal that broke in 2007, a criminal conspiracy between the US finance sector and government departments that devastated economies across the western world and their client stated in the global south. After 2010, the neoliberal tories endlessly trotted out their inane slogan 'the mess left by the last lot' just as they recently parroted 'strong and stable' ad nauseam. However, I am unwilling to defend New Labour in this matter, they could have chosen a much more effective and equitable response to the scandal.

And tax? The tax gap - money owed but not paid to HMRC, is an astonishing figure counted in tens and perhaps hundreds of £ Billions each and every year. We shall perhaps never know just how much money moves offshore to tax havens per annum (tax havens are not called secrecy jurisdictions for nothing) by businesses and wealthy individuals living or trading in the UK.

And the neoliberal response to tax avoidance on an industrial scale? Cut HMRC staff and downplay the issue. The usual spin and no comment strategy carefully calibrated to help themselves and their friends to defraud the nation of crucial revenue, all cynically concealed under the so-called austerity policy, an ideologically constructed and powerfully implemented strategy to transfer wealth from the poor to pay the rich.

There are some interesting videos on You Tube about the banking racket which play into this debate...one is the 7 minute 'The Goldsmith's Tale' in cartoon form, plus many other more insightful ones. I'd be interested if anyone can dispute the claims, along with Iceland's actions in jailing them.

There are some interesting videos on You Tube about the banking racket which play into this debate...one is the 7 minute 'The Goldsmith's Tale' in cartoon form, plus many other more insightful ones. I'd be interested if anyone can dispute the claims, along with Iceland's actions in jailing them.

Iceland should be heralded as heroes. Shame our successive governments and courts have bottled it as we have our share of criminal fraud.

Iceland should be heralded as heroes. Shame our successive governments and courts have bottled it as we have our share of criminal fraud.

Gordon Brown had 'em by the balls - they were skint and needed billions. He could have pushed through all sorts and didn't. Or he could have let them hit the buffers. Sadly, he gave them billions and got sod all for it.

Those circumstances will never happen again. Banking reform won't happen in this country. Once we've left the eu it will get worse.

Gordon Brown had 'em by the balls - they were skint and needed billions. He could have pushed through all sorts and didn't. Or he could have let them hit the buffers. Sadly, he gave them billions and got sod all for it.

Those circumstances will never happen again. Banking reform won't happen in this country. Once we've left the eu it will get worse.

Oh I'll not defend Brown on this at all. They screwed us on his watch.

This is the wrong point of view. The neoconservative New Labour government had no choice but to respond to the global financial scandal that broke in 2007, a criminal conspiracy between the US finance sector and government departments that devastated economies across the western world and their client stated in the global south. After 2010, the neoliberal tories endlessly trotted out their inane slogan 'the mess left by the last lot' just as they recently parroted 'strong and stable' ad nauseam. However, I am unwilling to defend New Labour in this matter, they could have chosen a much more effective and equitable response to the scandal.

And tax? The tax gap - money owed but not paid to HMRC, is an astonishing figure counted in tens and perhaps hundreds of £ Billions each and every year. We shall perhaps never know just how much money moves offshore to tax havens per annum (tax havens are not called secrecy jurisdictions for nothing) by businesses and wealthy individuals living or trading in the UK.

And the neoliberal response to tax avoidance on an industrial scale? Cut HMRC staff and downplay the issue. The usual spin and no comment strategy carefully calibrated to help themselves and their friends to defraud the nation of crucial revenue, all cynically concealed under the so-called austerity policy, an ideologically constructed and powerfully implemented strategy to transfer wealth from the poor to pay the rich.

I quite agree that money owed is great, but what make you so sure that it will be gathered better by labour than the last Labour government did.

Edited by phil752

I quite agree that money owed is great, but what make you so sure that it will be gathered better by labour than the last Labour government did.

I think we can be confident because Mr Corbyn has sought advice from Richard Murphy of the Tax Justice Network, one of the key figures in the project to bring tax fraud to public attention. Most people have become aware of tax fraud thanks to Murphy and the UKUncut movement. Even the mainstream media have been forced to catch up with the theme over the past few years!