How to become an MP(PPC)

My MP was a councillor who married another councillor. Her husband became an MP, but sadly died. His widow was selected to replace him in an extremely safe seat.

How many widows/widowers get selected for their late spouse's job I wonder?

Could easily stand as an independent. Independents have a decent shot at winning a seat if their views align well with the electorate of the constituency they are competing in.

Anyone can stand, but they have almost 0 chance of winning. I believe only 10 independent candidates have been elected since the 1950's.

---------- Post added 11-06-2017 at 23:10 ----------

Well first you need to join your party of choice, then you need that party to select you as a candidate in an election.

(and you need to stand for a seat you have a decent chance of winning)

How you get to be the preferential candidate in a seat you have half a chance at winning though???

You need to fit the mould for a start. Tow the party line, not make waves with your own ideas, and suck up to the right people. It helps if you have the right contacts too of course.

Edited by Anna B

My MP was a councillor who married another councillor. Her husband became an MP, but sadly died. His widow was selected to replace him in an extremely safe seat.

Standing to become a councillor would be my first preference, as a serious career choice. Standing to become an MP is more of a long shot, but maybe a enjoyable experience.

Could easily stand as an independent. Independents have a decent shot at winning a seat if their views align well with the electorate of the constituency they are competing in.

How many independents won in this last election?

What would you do in order to make yourself electable?

If you are critical of MPs and Councillors, why not become one yourself?

Its really easier to criticise, but could you do any better?

Buy a suit is my first thoughts, at least it will make me look the part. It might be fun too.

Number one : buy yourself a nice Primark suit ideally reduced.

Number two: spend hours in front of a mirror talking total crap it greatly helps your confidence.

Number three: must have a large ego and question your sanity.

Number four : when anyone ask you a question make sure you answer with a question never be honest about anything it will never get you voted in.

Number five: spend hours watching Theresa May footage or Trump footage to the learn the art of crap public speaking .

Number six: make sure you surround yourself with yes people who will clap at anything you say no matter how bad your speeches are.

Number seven: if all else fails you can at least you can take your suit back and get a refund .

Follow this advice you be in number ten in no time. :)

Number one : buy yourself a nice Primark suit ideally reduced.

Number two: spend hours in front of a mirror talking total crap it greatly helps your confidence.

Number three: must have a large ego and question your sanity.

Number four : when anyone ask you a question make sure you answer with a question never be honest about anything it will never get you voted in.

Number five: spend hours watching Theresa May footage or Trump footage to the learn the art of crap public speaking .

Number six: make sure you surround yourself with yes people who will clap at anything you say no matter how bad your speeches are.

Number seven: if all else fails you can at least you can take your suit back and get a refund .

Follow this advice you be in number ten in no time. :)

Addendum: (6a) Be prepared to to be analysed and ripped to shreds by people who believe they have all the answers.

No they don't. Independents have practically no chance at all - only in very specific circumstances like Martin Bell, for example.

There are no Independents at the moment, and none elected for the last ten years.

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 06:55 ----------

Anyone can stand, but they have almost 0 chance of winning. I believe only 10 independent candidates have been elected since the 1950's.

Its only 2

Martin Bell and Dai Davies.