How to become an MP(PPC)

What would you do in order to make yourself electable?

If you are critical of MPs and Councillors, why not become one yourself?

Its really easier to criticise, but could you do any better?

Buy a suit is my first thoughts, at least it will make me look the part. It might be fun too.

So much easier said than done.

Having said that, it is slightly easier to become a Councillor than an MP, although your face still has to fit.

I'd like to see more people giving it a go, especially in Sheffield, where we need some new blood and fresh ideas.

So much easier said than done.

Having said that, it is slightly easier to become a Councillor than an MP, although your face still has to fit.

I'd like to see more people giving it a go, especially in Sheffield, where we need some new blood and fresh ideas.

I would suggest that anyone serious about becoming a councillor joins the party most likely to win seats in their area. In south Yorks that would be Labour.

If they then work hard at local level, by being a union official (public sector is good!) delivering leaflets etc. and get noticed, they may get selected to stand in a council election. With a bit of luck it will be in a ward that returns huge labour majorities. Pretty plain sailing from there I'd think. Greens and Lib Dems can do ok in some wards, however if their leaning is towards the conservatives, then they should probably move.

I would suggest that anyone serious about becoming a councillor joins the party most likely to win seats in their area. In south Yorks that would be Labour.

That maybe how a person looking for a job would think.

I work for my local authority, so I have got to get the law changed first ;)

I am working on that, but I would assume others are trying too.

That maybe how a person looking for a job would think.

I work for my local authority, so I have got to get the law changed first ;)

I am working on that, but I would assume others are trying too.

Or give up your job, get made redundant? I believe one of the local councillors in this area worked for SCC until a few years ago.

Or give up your job, get made redundant? I believe one of the local councillors in this area worked for SCC until a few years ago.

I will need to make sure I have another part time job, I will wait a few years. Pay some of my mortgage off, then think about it when I am more secure, money wise.

Over 5 million cannot stand for election because they work for the local authority, perhaps I can make a headway on changing that ruling. You never know.

If they then work hard at local level, by being a union official (public sector is good!) delivering leaflets etc. and get noticed, they may get selected to stand in a council election. With a bit of luck it will be in a ward that returns huge labour majorities. Pretty plain sailing from there I'd think. Greens and Lib Dems can do ok in some wards, however if their leaning is towards the conservatives, then they should probably move.

Got to agree with Anna B,(not the first time) your face definitely has to fit.

Like all walks of life, it's jobs for the boys. whether Labour, Conservative or the others.

If your views are in any way radical or controversial, the party will keep you out.

I am a union rep in the public sector, but my views would be frowned upon in main stream politics; however, I believe one should never compromise a principle in order to get a position

What would you do in order to make yourself electable?

If you are critical of MPs and Councillors, why not become one yourself?

Its really easier to criticise, but could you do any better?

Buy a suit is my first thoughts, at least it will make me look the part. It might be fun too.

I had toyed with the idea of becoming a councillor, but as fare as I could tell, they are unpaid.

I had toyed with the idea of becoming a councillor, but as fare as I could tell, they are unpaid.

Not exactly. I believe they get an allowance and expenses. Perhaps someone else on here can fill in the details.

They can also do part time jobs and consultancies a bit like MPs.

Not exactly. I believe they get an allowance and expenses. Perhaps someone else on here can fill in the details.

They can also do part time jobs and consultancies a bit like MPs.

I read about these allowances and expenses, but if you are not technically paid a salary (like MP's), it was first of all hard to work out how much you would get and second they could easily be taken away or, not unlike the MP's become a stick to beat you with. I know that MP's were told before the scandal that their expenses were a way of making up the shortfall in their salaries. Our MP's weren't that well paid before all this happened and now they get large pay rises instead, but that is a whole other discussion I suspect.

Edited by Berberis

I read about these allowances and expenses, but if you are not technically paid a salary (like MP's), it was first of all hard to work out how much you would get and second they could easily be taken away or, not unlike the MP's become a stick to beat you with. I know that MP's were told before the scandal that their expenses were a way of making up the shortfall in their salaries. Our MP's weren't that well paid before all this happened and now they get large pay rises instead, but that is a whole other discussion I suspect.

I believe the 'allowance' is really a salary by another name. It can't be taken away. And I don't think you have to give up your job to become a councillor, I believe (though I'm not 100% sure,) employers are obliged to give you time off for Council work.

Incidently, yes expenses were supposed to compensate for poor pay, but since MPs pay has increased to a satisfactory level, expenses have gone up, not down.