Would you have voted Corbyn in return for £50,000?

Everyone seems to be slating students for apparently voting Labour because of free tuition fees

But if you are going to end up with £50,000 of debt what would you do as a young person?

We actually have one of the fairest and most progressive ways of funding higher education in this country and its a travesty that our funding system isn't fully understood by the masses.

This is primarily because of the fear and apprehension that is generated when the media talk of university "debt" and parents often exacerbate this problem by assimilating the word 'debt' with their understanding of credit card debts & bank loans etc.

Your student loan is not a debt. It's simply the final cost of your higher education and it's an irrelevant figure because it has no bearing on what contributions you pay after you graduate.

The student loan system is essentially a graduate tax in all but name.

The contributions you make once you graduate is based on your income above £21k and not the total cost of your education.

The vast majority of students (myself included) will never make graduate contributions that fully covers the cost of our higher education.

We actually have one of the fairest and most progressive ways of funding higher education in this country and its a travesty that our funding system isn't fully understood by the masses.

This is primarily because of the fear and apprehension that is generated when the media talk of university "debt" and parents often exacerbate this problem by assimilating the word 'debt' with their understanding of credit card debts & bank loans etc.

Your student loan is not a debt. It's simply the final cost of your higher education and it's an irrelevant figure because it has no bearing on what contributions you pay after you graduate.

The contributions you make once you graduate is based on your income above £21k and not the total cost of your education.

The vast majority of students (myself included) will never make graduate contributions that fully covers the cost of our higher education.

Woaaah don't talk sense on here.

Not the whole story is it?

Tell us the rest.

If I were a student I'd have voted Labour to wipe out tuition fees and for no other reason, that was the purppose behind the sweetener wasn't it, but would it have been right to vote for one (selfish) reason alone?

I said it before, but young people didn't have to even look at the manifesto of any other party to have solid reasons to avoid voting Tory.

The Tory manifesto was promising them very little.

Some figures here:

https://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/average-costs-of-living-and-study/

I've never known any students pay £700 per year for travel or £1000 per year for "books, equipment and so on".

I spent probably £150 a year, and got back about £30 from selling my old books, the lecturers regularly published new editions to ensure that new books kept getting sold.

For the latter there are notice boards in unis where second and third year students sell their books to first year students. When I went to uni in 2006 I spent barely £30 on second hand books.

Further down, this is interesting in the bundled costs:

Why should leisure be counted?

Because if you're working out a budget it would be foolish to pretend that you won't spend any money on leisure...

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 17:20 ----------

Why is living costs counted? They'd have to live whether they went to Uni or not.

I suspect that living at home with mum and dad is somewhat cheaper than living in even halls of residence.

---------- Post added 12-06-2017 at 17:22 ----------

The final size of the debt, which is what it is, determine how long you'll be paying for it, in combination with how much you pay which is based on your income.

It's a graduate tax in all but name that your parents didn't have to pay, I in fact don't have to pay it, and it disproportionately affects the poor, because the well off can have their parents reduce that debt...

I said it before, but young people didn't have to even look at the manifesto of any other party to have solid reasons to avoid voting Tory.

The Tory manifesto was promising them very little.

You're possibly correct with your solid reason theory. Of the students I know and of the students they each in turn know (extrapolate as far as you want on that one) very few were prepared to vote at all until that particular carrot was dangled as neither of the big two were worthy. The rest of the Labour manifesto held little sway.

I guess my question would be is voting for personal gain, right?