Towering inferno in London

Look, can everybody please avoid going into party political defence mode about sprinklers, cladding regulations etc...

It's too early for that. Let's think about the dead and injured. For a few more days at least. Some of those poor people are still in there.

No doubt when the time comes present and previous governments, along with Labour, Tory and LibDem controlled councils everywhere are going to have some serious questions to answer.

Look, can everybody please avoid going into party political defence mode about sprinklers, cladding regulations etc...

It's too early for that. Let's think about the dead and injured. For a few more days at least. Some of those poor people are still in there.

No doubt when the time comes present and previous governments, along with Labour, Tory and LibDem controlled councils everywhere are going to have some serious questions to answer.

You don't get to dictate what is talked about and maybe if you knew who was responsible for regulation and advising on that same regulation you wouldn't immediately say the Tories have a lot to answer for before telling the rest of us to shut up and think of the dead. You can't make a sweeping statement and then deny right of reply.

I believe building regulations including fire safety are the remit of BRE; a former Government body that was privatised in 1997 and now operates as a charity. They frequently test building materials and carry out experiments at their facility in Rushbrook and advise on legislation.

If you look up the relevant building regulation and the tests, it seems clear that compared to other countries we have much lower standards for external cladding.

An architect being interviewed on Sky News today questioned how effective a sprinkler system would have been in this scenario.

He was basically saying the burning inferno was on the outside of the building so the usual methods of preventing a fire from spreading internally are rendered ineffective.

All modern buildings over 30 m tall have to have sprinklers installed now.

By the sound of it this is a more American approach to fire safety; tackle it by brute force when it starts - but traditionally the British approach has been to design buildings so the fire can't spread in the first place.

You don't get to dictate what is talked about and maybe if you knew who was responsible for regulation and advising on that same regulation you wouldn't immediately say the Tories have a lot to answer for before telling the rest of us to shut up and think of the dead. You can't make a sweeping statement and then deny right of reply.

Not getting into any arguments with you. Like I said now is not the time.

You can discuss whatever you want but quite honesty this pre-emptive political defence is making me sick to the stomach. It's in extremely poor taste. Likewise for those trying to make political capital out of this.

Just my view, which I feel is respectful.

If you look up the relevant building regulation and the tests, it seems clear that compared to other countries we have much lower standards for external cladding.

I wouldn't know. Have you a source for this showing a comparison?

Edited by Pinkman

We do not yet know how many people have died in Grenfell Tower, or how many have suffered appalling, life-changing injuries. We do know that there will be many who are experiencing overwhelming grief, and an endless horror at the manner in which their loved ones lost their lives.

However, we must not call this event a tragedy, not until we know whether it was a crime.

BBC reports have already made a shocking revelation in their online coverage:

Rydon [contractors] said it was "shocked to hear of the devastating fire" adding that the work "met all required building control, fire regulation and health & safety standards".

It later issued a new statement, removing the previous mention of the building meeting fire regulation standards, instead saying the project met "all required building regulations".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40272168

This horrifying event might expose the true impact of regulatory change and the actions of profit-seeking contractors on the lives and well-being of citizens here in the UK.

Not getting into any arguments with you. Like I said now is not the time.

You can discuss whatever you want but quite honesty this pre-emptive political defence is making me sick to the stomach. It's in extremely poor taste. Likewise for those trying to make political capital out of this.

Just my view, which I feel is respectful.

Slagging off the Tories and virtue signalling is respectful is it? You don't think I feel sickened by this absurd loss of life in modern Britain?

Who have I defended apart from saying I doubt it was a government minister of any flavour that signed off that building?

I know its not exactly the same thing, but stage fabrics across europe have different codes and specifications - Im not sure (probably because Im not qualified to judge) which is better or worse. All come under the banner of flame retardant but are designed to meet different tests.

Is this the case for cladding as well?