Towering inferno in London

what i dont understand is, if these flats are built to contain a fire in a specific area, ie:- a flat, a floor.

And this fire spread up the outside of the building.

And as rumours suggest it was somebodys fridge freezer that caused it, on the 4th floor.

How did the fire get out to the outside cladding? Oo

what i dont understand is, if these flats are built to contain a fire in a specific area, ie:- a flat, a floor.

And as rumours suggest it was somebodys fridge freezer that caused it, on the 4th floor.

They left the window open. Hot day I expect, fire and panic - run out quick. You can tell people time and time again to shut all windows but they never do, understandably, or perhaps the fire was in the way and they couldn't shut it.

Even so - with an entire flat to burn the window wont last very long. The door will if shut - even the lowest grade of fire door is good for a half hour.

Open window maybe?

Just to add further confusion...

There was a neighbour being interviewed on 5 live who claimed that the initial fire had been put out - or at least they thought it had been.

Obviously a lot of confusion. Hopefully the enquiry will identify the truth amongst all the rumours.

There was an architect on radio 5 live, today, advocating external sprinkler systems, to specifically quench any fires in the external cladding.

I don't know if this is already a thing, or whether he was just bouncing ideas around, but he pointed out that this would be a comparatively cheap retro-fit, and would not need disruption to individual flats.

Id go for that - if I can get control of it to flush muck spreading pigeons off the outside!

I'd have thought that fixing cladding on shouldn't be allowed. Seriously why not just skim some render on and paint it a nice colour. That wont burn....

The whole thing is politicised...by the very fact that those involved and those who lost their lives are living in a council block in a London borough who wishes that people like them were not there. Part of the reason for adding the cladding was because posher people who had to look at the tower as it was complained to the council that it was an eyesore.

Do you think that this would have happened to a privately owned tower of flats where builders, contractors would have had to have kept to health and safety guidelines...and most definitely had to include a sprinkler system...or at least dry risers (that in this tower were removed during the refurbishment).

Or do you want to live in a fluffy pink world where poor people don't exist?

No, I realise it is very politicised.

The argument I am making is for people to step back a little, calm down, stop arguing, stop making political points based on possibly incomplete or incorrect information. Both sides are at it and I think the victims of this deserve a bit better right now.

The politics can happen a little later when we have a clearer picture. And I fully expect it to be a proper crap storm, and I fully expect to get involved.

Yeah, the initial fire somehow set off the stuff behind the cladding. That then spead around the building and was hot enough to set the rooms inside on fire. All in 15 mins I heard.

I suspect it was a case of, a flat on fire, no need to panic.....but in the background everything is getting very hot very quickly and then whoosh, the whole building is suddenly on fire.

They left the window open. Hot day I expect, fire and panic - run out quick. You can tell people time and time again to shut all windows but they never do, understandably, or perhaps the fire was in the way and they couldn't shut it.

Even so - with an entire flat to burn the window wont last very long. The door will if shut - even the lowest grade of fire door is good for a half hour.

Not relevant in this case, it seems, in terms of fire spread, but fire doors are an integral part of design. All pretty meaningless when people choose to chock them open.

I used to work in Engineering, amongst people who ought to know better, but it was not uncommon for these people to leave fire doors open, when it suited, when moving stuff (but not shutting them after) or in hot weather to allow through draughts. Very annoying.

Of course, as well as slowing fire spread, doors slow smoke spread and possibly prevent it from rising up through the stair well. That may have applied here.

maybe through the window? Oo

also the same person said the neighbour who had the fire, knocked on their door and said there was a fire, but had luggage packed to do a runner...so spent time packing rather than warning people

I want politics to be kept out of it. That's the point.

Then you're desperately naive. Of course politics is part and parcel of this tragedy - and if you can't see it you're wilfully blind.

Edit - apologies, just seen your other post.

Then you're desperately naive. Of course politics is part and parcel of this tragedy - and if you can't see it you're wilfully blind.

Edit - apologies, just seen your other post.

Ok, no worries.

I'm just very uncomfortable with a full-on political battle right now.

Some pretty outrageous and possibly unfounded arguments are being made by some politicians. It's just too early.