Towering inferno in London

Apparently it will still be OK to clad buildings in flammable material....if this happened in India or Bukino Faso we'd condem them for outrageous disregard of human life. In the UK it's fine to cover a tower block in a sheath of combustable material. Bonkers.

A bonfire of regulations the tories promised....

I think if we looked at the history of the usage of the panels then they were being installed before 2010, and on buildings in Labour-run areas.

I think if we looked at the history of the usage of the panels then they were being installed before 2010, and on buildings in Labour-run areas.

But how is getting rid of regulations pertaining to health and safety a good idea and how is continuing to allow a combustable substance to cover buildings a good idea?

I heard on the news recently that about a hundred of the residents of Grenfell Tower are still in temporary accommodation awaiting to be housed.

Not acceptable.

Not wanting to start an argument but could some of this hundred have been offered new homes but are holding out for a better home and/or better area ,than they were in before ?

Not wanting to start an argument but could some of this hundred have been offered new homes but are holding out for a better home and/or better area ,than they were in before ?

I honestly don't know the answer.

I have watched a number of editions of Newsnight which focused on the survivors, & what came across to me was the impact of the fire on the victims - many of whom have PTSD. I don't know if what they've been offered is a flat in another high rise block, which they couldn't even contemplate moving into, for understandable reasons.

I understand Ministers would like nothing more than the people to accept anything so they can say "we've housed them all in 12 months, as we promised to do at the time"; however people have to live in the homes - which maybe completely unsuitable for valid reasons.

I think they have the right to a decent home, in the borough where they lived before others turned their homes into the Towering Inferno.

I see nothing wrong in holding out for that

I think they have the right to a decent home, in the borough where they lived before others turned their homes into the Towering Inferno.

I see nothing wrong in holding out for that

Yes , they have a right to a decent home . Can you say they haven't been offered one ? Or are they holding out for a better one ?

Yes , they have a right to a decent home . Can you say they haven't been offered one ? Or are they holding out for a better one ?

Maybe they’ve become quite fussy about their housing provision.

Can you think why that might be?