A true Sheffield hero

Nice to see an article in tonights Star about my nextdoor neighbour Doug, a lovely gentleman. Hope the council can do a fitting ceremony for his bravery and the awful after effects he went through.

Bravo Doug :thumbsup:

Star article:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/stranded-unarmed-on-d-day-beach-after-his-landing-craft-was-blown-up-the-remarkable-survival-story-of-sheffield-man-awarded-france-s-highest-military-honour-1-8592182/amp

Nice to see an article in tonights Star about my nextdoor neighbour Doug, a lovely gentleman. Hope the council can do a fitting ceremony for his bravery and the awful after effects he went through.

Bravo Doug :thumbsup:

Star article:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/stranded-unarmed-on-d-day-beach-after-his-landing-craft-was-blown-up-the-remarkable-survival-story-of-sheffield-man-awarded-france-s-highest-military-honour-1-8592182/amp

What a tragic story about a lovely, brave man. Enjoy your medal Doug you have more than earned it. I love his typical Yorkshire humour "can you swim" answer "why have you no ships"? :hihi:. My grandson will love that one, as he has been in the Royal Navy for the last couple of years.

Well deserved Doug, took too much time for you to receive the medal !

Yes, but it was a foreign country's top military honour. Seems like all he got from his own country were campaign medals ,which all service men got for their contributions to the war effort. To top it all, he was thrown on the scrap heap, when it was all over.

It is a scandal what Doug and thousands of others have been forced to endure. Thank you Doug. I would like to think that it all wasn't in vain and that we have learned from these terrible wars.

And you don't look that different now from that photo as a lad.

• 2 weeks later...