Hot router advice!

Frohike

This might sound like a daft question, but how hot should a router be?

I've got a BT home hub5. Its on a bookcase, around 4' off the floor, its quite airy & well ventilated. At the moment the only thing connected is my tablet, all other devices either wireless or cable are turned off. The router is really hot to the touch. Is this OK?

One in how many millions, many routers get hot to the touch, if its that worrying then get a BT engineer to call in and have a look and dont let photos like that worry you too much, someone could have taken a blow torch to it for all we know.

One in how many millions, many routers get hot to the touch, if its that worrying then get a BT engineer to call in and have a look and dont let photos like that worry you too much, someone could have taken a blow torch to it for all we know.

Did you see the last post on that thread? ;)

Using the mid section of the back of your middle finger, lightly touch the surface of the device.

if it is too hot to bare it's probably above 40 Celsius.

if there is no change its probably around 32 Celsius

If it is slighty warm its probably between 32 and 40 Celsius

I have BT HH3 (black box) with a OpenReach modem (white box).

On a scale of 1 to 5 where 1 is no change and 5 is above 40 Celsius, using the above test:

HH3 hub: 3 ( three computers hard-wired, 2 wireless devices )

HH3 power adaptor: 2

Modem: 3

Modem power adaptor: 1

Any device that is very warm or hot to the touch should be investigated.

Most routers get warm but the recent hot weather does not help either. The temp in my living room at this time 11PM is 26.2c and I have a 16" fan going as well. The PC runs on idle when on the internet at around 42c but at the moment that says 48c.