Can anyone advise me who to contact?

I took a Macbook into a shop for a quote as to what cost it would be to check it over and for a new battery fitting. I told them I wanted the quote because it was a old computer and if it was to expensive I wouldn't bother. They got back to me saying it had been checked over and said it would be up and running with the new battery they gave me 2 prices for a battery 1 £65 and the other £85. I chose the £85 because they said it was apple. The computers battery had swollen and it wasn't responding on certain things. Its taken over 2 weeks for them to supposedly fix it and today phoned to say it was ready to collect. My wife went to collect it and when she got back home its still not responding so I feel they have conned me and want to try and get my money back. I have got emails stating that I wanted a estimate and also email from them stating it would be working once the battery had been fitted.

Thank you for any advice. Alan.

Probably start by contacting them in a polite manner. They may have made a mistake that they are willing to put right for free without escalating.

However, reading the post, you asked them to fit a new battery rather than to fix the laptop. I know that may sound pedantic, but if you did ask them specifically to fit a new battery and they did that at the price quoted then whilst it's pretty poor of them to do that I can't see what legal argument you have.

What have they said when you raised the issue with them? Have they given their side and refused to do anything else?

The citizens advice bureau are normally pretty good with stuff like this, their advice is free. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Hello sgtkate,

I had told them not to do any repairs till I got the quote and decided if it was worth doing.

They told me that they had checked it over and it would be up and running with the new battery so I agreed to have the battery fitted. They knew what I had said and I have emails to prove it, I have just heard from them and they are trying to say There was nothing on the job sheet about any other problem. I would have thought that they would have tested it before they fitted the battery and who would agree to paying out £85 for a battery what's not cured the problem. I'm waiting for there reply. I have looked online and found that they did some work for someone and it wasn't right but they are not answering his calls.Alan.