Is anyone proud to be British these days?

I'm proud to be English, I'm not British and never will be, if someone from Wales can be Welsh, someone from Scotland can be a Scot and someone from Ireland can be Irish, so why am I called British when I was born in England, I'm English plain and simple..

British is a collective word for people from the British Isles

Ditto,word for word.

lentils are nice, good for you and politically neutral

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 20:06 ----------

would you like to have been accidentally born french?

erm i presume french people are proud to be french, germans are proud to be german...etc etc?

Over the years lots of people have been rightly proud to be British and of the type of values we held.

We have a decent democracy, we introduced the NHS and Welfare State and most have been tolerant of other peoples religions and cultures.

But now is this still the case, I seem to wake up to some atrocity or disaster of our own making.

Just look at this lot and tell me that you are proud of what’s happened to this country:

• Illegal wars based on “dodgy” dossiers

• People on Benefit demonised by the mainstream media leading to the cutting of payments to these poor people

• Home-grown terrorists targeting schoolchildren

• Home-grown terrorists targeting tourists and people enjoying a drink or meal

• Home-grown terrorists attacking people coming out of prayer

• People getting burned alive as a consequence of successive governments failing to take safety seriously

• The current Government joining up with a terrorist/extremist political party in order to stay in power

• Muslim people are subjected daily to racial abuse

• Abuse of children across the country

I’m sure others can add to this list, my personal view is I’m sick of this and we need to start to get back to previous values where we cared more about people and less about profit.

People can legitimately say if you don’t like it go and live somewhere else but even that is under threat as 52% of people voted to prevent the free movement around Europe.

So is there anyone left still proud to be British and if so could I ask why?

What about those of us in the majority who are hard working people who try and live a good life and just want the best for our family and friends?

How is any of the above our fault. Neither I nor any of my family or friends are responsible for any of the above. I am proud to be British and why shouldn't I be? As long as I am trying my best to be a decent person, I don't feel guilty for the acts of other despicable people.

Over the years lots of people have been rightly proud to be British and of the type of values we held.

We have a decent democracy, we introduced the NHS and Welfare State and most have been tolerant of other peoples religions and cultures.

But now is this still the case, I seem to wake up to some atrocity or disaster of our own making.

Just look at this lot and tell me that you are proud of what’s happened to this country:

• Illegal wars based on “dodgy” dossiers

• People on Benefit demonised by the mainstream media leading to the cutting of payments to these poor people

• Home-grown terrorists targeting schoolchildren

• Home-grown terrorists targeting tourists and people enjoying a drink or meal

• Home-grown terrorists attacking people coming out of prayer

• People getting burned alive as a consequence of successive governments failing to take safety seriously

• The current Government joining up with a terrorist/extremist political party in order to stay in power

• Muslim people are subjected daily to racial abuse

• Abuse of children across the country

I’m sure others can add to this list, my personal view is I’m sick of this and we need to start to get back to previous values where we cared more about people and less about profit.

People can legitimately say if you don’t like it go and live somewhere else but even that is under threat as 52% of people voted to prevent the free movement around Europe.

So is there anyone left still proud to be British and if so could I ask why?

Im proud to be English .

What about those of us in the majority who are hard working people who try and live a good life and just want the best for our family and friends?

How is any of the above our fault. Neither I nor any of my family or friends are responsible for any of the above. I am proud to be British and why shouldn't I be? As long as I am trying my best to be a decent person, I don't feel guilty for the acts of other despicable people.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be, what I do think is worth discussing is whether or not this Pride diminishes as a consequence of events and/or what aspects still cause you immense Pride

Good post.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be, what I do think is worth discussing is whether or not this Pride diminishes as a consequence of events and/or what aspects still cause you immense Pride

Rubbish Titanic. Your debating logic is just stirring, leading questions and political bias.

That's not at all what you were thinking/asking at all.

Your threads are like SCC parking permit questionnaires :hihi:

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 21:27 ----------

not really, just an accident of birth

just a pity we're not proud you're english :roll:

;)

"we're" not proud you're english?

We're sounds a bit cliquey to one or the other side to me :)

It is actually a ridiculous concept to be proud of the country in which you happened to have been born when you factor in other things you could be proud of:

'I am proud to be British'

'I am proud to be white skinned'

'I am proud to be male'

'I am proud to have a skeleton'

'I am proud to have two thumbs'

'I am proud to be made up of cells'

'I am proud to have DNA'

Patriotism is merely small-mindedness and is the reserve of simple people whose lives are so empty that they desperately need to feel like they belong to an establishment that preys upon their stupidity.

I'm not suggesting for one minute one should be ashamed of where they happened to be born but the very notion of being proud of something that one has no control over is laughable really.

It is actually a ridiculous concept to be proud of the country in which you happened to have been born when you factor in other things you could be proud of:

'I am proud to be British'

'I am proud to be white skinned'

'I am proud to be male'

'I am proud to have a skeleton'

'I am proud to have two thumbs'

'I am proud to be made up of cells'

'I am proud to have DNA'

Patriotism is merely small-mindedness and is the reserve of simple people whose lives are so empty that they desperately need to feel like they belong to an establishment that preys upon their stupidity.

I'm not suggesting for one minute one should be ashamed of where they happened to be born but the very notion of being proud of something that one has no control over is laughable really.

Patriotism is not small-mindedness in my opinion. Just today we had a minutes silence for the victims and relatives of the Grenfell Tower tragedy. I was proud to take part in that as were my friends, family and colleagues. I like people who have compassion and respect for other people. I think that is a part of being British.