The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Keep voting till we all vote remain you mean?

Like hell that is democracy..

Leave won so we should go ahead and leave without remainers undermining the process as they are doing at the moment.....

It is democracy.

As more information becomes available it might be desirable to give people an option to affirm their choice, or reverse their choice.

It’s the very definition of democracy, which should be a fluid and responsive process.

Taking a snapshot on a single day and then locking 65 million people and future generations into a potentially ruinous process for decades is profoundly undemocratic.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 00:15 ----------

Airbus employs 14,000 people directly in the U.K., along with a further 100,000 people in the UK in the related supply chain, and adds £4bn a year to the U.K. economy.

The total Boeing investment would be worth about 4 days worth of what Airbus contributes to our economy in one year

You need to get some perspective

That old guff again :roll:

The UK has a sovereign parliament, as confirmed by the Supreme Court. There is no will of the people in UK constitutional law. That is why referenda can never be anything other than advisory. The will of the people is just popular BS with no legal basis.

The real problem here is that the UK voter is ignorant of how their country is actually governed. That is why there is a call for another advisory referendum, the abolishment of the House of Lords and so on, when in fact a general election is required to give a mandate for change.

And lest you forget, the 2017GE did not give either side a mandate: that's why May had to jump in bed with Arlene's lot. Brexit as conducted by May's government since then, is not that far removed from a dictatorship. Some can see it for what it is. Some keep asking for seconds of snake oil. Most don't seem to care. And deserve everything that's coming to them.

What did Boris tell the ambassador asking him 'what about the concerns of business'? He is quoted as responding 'f*** business'. The fly in the ointment is, it's that very same 'f***ed business' which has been paying for the NHS so far, through taxation. Happy crashing :thumbsup:

Of course people care. That's why they got off their backsides and voted.

The government of the day's/David Cameron's expensive little book of threats stated very clearly to every household in the country what a vote for 'leave' meant. It was all there in black and white. So we knew very well what we were voting for.

We honestly don't need every one who didn't get the outcome they wanted to tell us that we've been lied to and didn't know what we were voting for and to bruise in - to protect us from ourselves of course. You seriously under-estimate and insult the British people if you think we're not shrewd enough to know that we were lied to, just like those who voted to remain were also lied to. Can we at least, as decent human beings, all wanting what we believe is best for the country, agree on that?

We really do not know how Brexit is going to pan out, no one does - and anyone who claims differently is a liar. The majority of those who voted were prepared to take a massive leap of faith as we had had enough of the bureaucratic machine that was becoming increasingly a parody of itself. A machine that had the chance for a little self-repair, when Cameron asked for concessions. A machine that was looking to many like a playground bully in its treatment of the people of Greece. The EU is ill and needs to cure itself but so far is refusing to even acknowledge that it needs wide-sweeping reform.

I have children. I discussed the issues with them before voting. We accept, as far as the economy is concerned, we may have to take a hit in the short term, but we may not either. But we have to look further down the road and not tie our future generations to the EU for maybe decades to come, just in case we have to suffer some economic pain in the short term.

We heard the plethora of threats from Cameron, Carney, Obama, Big business, etc . We still thought on balance that we'd like to leave.

I think sometimes a little restraint is called for. This is an extremely divisive issue and one that people who voted for, no matter how they voted, are all very passionate about. I don't want to see deeper divides and hatred and violence escalate in this country and I think comments, such as "Happy crashing" could lead people to believe that you actually want the UK to suffer simply because the majority of people who voted, see things differently to you.

Edited by Lex Luthor

<...>

I think sometimes a little restraint is called for. This is an extremely divisive issue and one that people who voted for, no matter how they voted, are all very passionate about. I don't want to see deeper divides and hatred and violence escalate in this country and I think comments, such as "Happy crashing" could lead people to believe that you actually want the UK to suffer simply because the majority of people who voted, see things differently to you.

A laudable appeal there, Lex, and some credit to you for it. Pity it’s still riddled with misunderstandings and slogans.

On the “happy crashing” thing, you could not be further from the truth, but then I expect that your own bias will of course colour your understanding of it: it simply reflects the expected outcome of your government’s jaw-dropping ineptitude. The divides of which you speak were created by none other than your politicians, and their widening is stoked by nothing else than your government’s perceivable dereliction of duty with the complicity of the UK’s sales-seeking MSM.

You seek to legitimise this state of affair on the back of ‘most’ voters duly considering issues and risks preceding the vote(s) [plural: the referendum and the GE 2017] and cognisant of politicians’ lying. That makes you and all these voters as complicit as these politicians about the current state of affairs, and just as responsible for it.

There’s no hatred or ill-will here: I’m just calling out your policians and their electorate for what they are. Respectively, snake oil merchants and gullible punters. I’m not sorry if that makes you sore: the only people worth my sorrow are the 48%, the kids too young to vote at the time, and all those others steamrolled by short-sighted personal interests of the vultures pulling the strings at the back.

Enough of the Leave-voting public will eventually get this. When that sentiment cumulates with that of the disenfranchised 48%, I wouldn’t like to be a self-confessed Brexiteer when that particular reckoning happens. Then you’ll see how wide that divide has actually got.

Edited by L00b

At the end of the day the UK is split 50/50 and the differences cannot be reconciled. Two of the constituent countries do not want to leave at all.

To go ahead with A50 on this basis was insanity. And the insanity never stopped. It gets worse every day.

It is democracy.

As more information becomes available it might be desirable to give people an option to affirm their choice, or reverse their choice.

It’s the very definition of democracy, which should be a fluid and responsive process.

Taking a snapshot on a single day and then locking 65 million people and future generations into a potentially ruinous process for decades is profoundly undemocratic.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 00:15 ----------

Airbus employs 14,000 people directly in the U.K., along with a further 100,000 people in the UK in the related supply chain, and adds £4bn a year to the U.K. economy.

The total Boeing investment would be worth about 4 days worth of what Airbus contributes to our economy in one year

You need to get some perspective

I can not remember getting a vote to make the Six members of the Common Market into a wider Union made up of tin pot Dictatorships and spongers led by Germany and France with billion pound headquarters in Brussels and Strasbourg; filled by unelected leaders who along with a million or so staff are rubbing their hands together at their luck of being on a gravy train filled to the brim with life long goodies.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 08:08 ----------

At the end of the day the UK is split 50/50 and the differences cannot be reconciled. Two of the constituent countries do not want to leave at all.

To go ahead with A50 on this basis was insanity. And the insanity never stopped. It gets worse every day.

The difference was two million or so a bigger majority than some Countries have inhabitants .

Far from it. I want the economy to dive because my financial position is insulated from it. So if the vast majority get poorer because of it, then my spending power would increase as I’ll see no decrease in relative value. After all, you did vote for it.

I can not remember getting a vote to make the Six members of the Common Market into a wider Union made up of tin pot Dictatorships and spongers led by Germany and France with billion pound headquarters in Brussels and Strasbourg; filled by unelected leaders who along with a million or so staff are rubbing their hands together at their luck of being on a gravy train filled to the brim with life long goodies.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 08:08 ----------

The difference was two million or so a bigger majority than some Countries have inhabitants .

You had many votes and you probably repeatedly voted for a woman who is one of the principle architects of the EU as we see it today.

The single market, the ERM, the aggressive expansion east, the half decade of groundwork before Maastricht etc...

It’s a very long list.

Boris Johnson is finished as a serious politicain. He said he would lay down in front of the bulldozers in order to stop the third runway, and he hasnt even voted aggainst it.

We, and the Tories are better off without him, Gove should join him, when he jumps in the river.

Without Boris, the majority may have voted to stay in the EU.