The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

It was advisory in the same way the 1975 referendum was advisory, and that vote kept us chained to the EU for over four decades...

Yes but 43% of the electorate voted yes and 20% of the electorate voted no.

As an advisory referendum what it tells the government is that nearly half the electorate voted to join the EU, more than double those who voted not to join.

In 2016 36% of the electorate votes to leave and 34% of the electorate voted to remain.

As an advisory referendum, that tells the government that there is virtually no difference in a desire to leave or remain

News about Farage is interesting.

Allegations that he bet against the pound.

It's a measure of how low we've sunk when a bent, millionaire businessman and a violent coke dealing football hooligan have become national heroes.

Mind you, so were Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter so I suppose we are just continuing a dishonourable tradition.

Brexit uncertainty puts 860,000 jobs at risk

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/26/brexit-uncertainty-putting-860000-jobs-at-risk-warns-car-industry

In the starkest warning yet from a single business sector, the car lobby has told the government that it needs “as a minimum” to remain in the customs union and a deal that delivers “single market benefits”.

Car investment slumps as 'uncertainty bites'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44609003

Investment in Britain's car industry has fallen by half

BMW executive says would shut UK plants if Brexit hits supply chain

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-bmw/bmw-would-close-uk-plants-if-brexit-hurts-supply-chain-ft-idUKKBN1JL23K

“We always said we can do our best and prepare everything, but if at the end of the day the supply chain will have a stop at the border, then we cannot produce our products in the UK,” BMW customs manager Stephan Freismuth was quoted as saying.

British trucks would be blocked from entering Europe under no-deal Brexit

http://uk.businessinsider.com/british-trucks-barred-from-europe-under-no-deal-brexit-industry-leader-warns-2018-6

James Hookham, deputy chief executive of the Freight Transport Association (FTA), told Business Insider that a no-deal Brexit would see Britain revert to an old set of international arrangements which handed Britain just 103 permits to cover the 300,000 journeys made by British trucks make to Europe every year.

That would, in essence, mean the bulk of Britain's lorry fleet was blocked from entering Europe the day after Brexit in March next year, should May fail to secure the transitional deal which is still being negotiated. This would affect hundreds if not thousands of businesses with EU customers.

"Time is running out," said Hookham.

"The thing that really upsets our members is when a lot of these concerns are just dismissed by politicians as trivial or insignificant," he said.

"They either don't understand what they're talking about, which I suspect is the case, or they've got no basis for saying it."

Sounds like he's describing the leavers on here :suspect:

Edited by Magilla

A GE is run every 5 years...when's the next EU referendum?
At the next GE, subject to respective manifestos’ contents. Although arguably that didn’t seem to make much difference at the last (2017) one.

I’m minded to take a punt on another anticipated GE in case of no deal Brexit ;)

I really wouldn't worry: with the utter and absolute clusterf*** the government, and UK politicians generally, have made on the back of it, neither you nor those 16 year olds are likely to have another referendum, all advisory that they are, put to you by Parliament in your lifetimes! :D

When the referendum was announced I never heard anything said about it being advisory. It was said that it would be a binding result.

There will have to be a GE.

When it comes to the crunch it’s going to be an extremely brave politician that votes to jeopardise 860,000 car manufacturing and supply chain jobs, and 115,000 jobs Airbus-related jobs.

Now we have an indication that gaming of the markets could be behind a lot of events the public will start to get angry.

I wouldn’t stop with Farage. There’s a whole load of Dept for exiting the EU statements made over the last two years which impacted sterling. Who in the markets had prior knowledge of the statements because there must have been tens of billions made from it.

Maybe one of the biggest heists ever with the British public and their futures as collateral damage.

Edited by I1L2T3

When the referendum was announced I never heard anything said about it being advisory. It was said that it would be a binding result.

Then you need to brush up a little on the sovereignty of Parliament.

You know, the thing that half the country voted to "get back"

No UK referendum can ever be binding. In my view, they should never be used, for just that reason.