The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

So as predicted the 27 are becoming stronger and more unified. The EU is as far away from falling apart as ever, and that sinking ship looks like it's going on a perpetual luxury cruise.

What a bunch of idiots Brexiters are for believing that the EU would fall apart.

Really?

Currently EU residents have the right to permanent residence status after five years, so nothing new there. There is nothing at all offered for anyone under five years.

What is different, is that they will now get a new status, as opposed to the current standard. Now the U.K. has a history of different types of citizenship and of assigning various rights to these groups, and there is no (proposed) way to ensure that those rights are enforceable against a future Act of Parliament.

So I am not finding this any more comforting than before: I don't see anything new in this, it is just the UK government dressing up the current status, and hoping no one will notice. As I expected.

Ironically (hey, Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving, right?) what May has proposed is essentially what Labour proposed during the election: isn't it nice that at least part of one of the main party's manifestos is getting implemented? :lol:

Really?

Currently EU residents have the right to permanent residence status after five years, so nothing new there. There is nothing at all offered for anyone under five years.

What is different, is that they will now get a new status, as opposed to the current standard. Now the U.K. has a history of different types of citizenship and of assigning various rights to these groups, and there is no (proposed) way to ensure that those rights are enforceable against a future Act of Parliament.

So I am not finding this any more comforting than before: I don't see anything new in this, it is just the UK government dressing up the current status, and hoping no one will notice. As I expected.

Ironically (hey, Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving, right?) what May has proposed is essentially what Labour proposed during the election: isn't it nice that at least part of one of the main party's manifestos is getting implemented? :lol:[/quote]

Yes that's wonderful news :D

Really?

Ironically (hey, Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving, right?) what May has proposed is essentially what Labour proposed during the election: isn't it nice that at least part of one of the main party's manifestos is getting implemented? :lol:

Same opinion here, we call this a wax nose in the Netherlands...

The only potential for improvement on the current situation I can see is that they cut some of the horrendous paper trail requirements out.

It means our strawberry pickers can stay!

Of course such arrangements are conditional on the reciprocal treatment of UK nationals. British strawberry pickers in Romania need certainty too.. :P

The fairly comprehensive EU position in the matter was sent to the UK a fortnight ago. Significantly better than the UK's in many respects, e.g. by offering a lifetime guarantee of all current rights to emigrated Brits in the EU.

Something which the British team in Brussels did no acknowledge last night (nor Westminster since June 12), talking instead of how the UK’s offer was only on the table if it was reciprocated by the EU.

I'm not exactly reassured by May's capacity to negotiate either: when the UK offers less support for citizens, than what has already been offered by the EU, and then asks and expects the EU to "reciprocate" to an offer which falls short of the EU's own, what does May expect? For the EU to worsen their offer? Unless May/Davis want to waste time, or it's yet another case of the Westminster right hand not having the foggiest clue about what the Westminster left hand is doing, it doesn't compute :huh:

The transparency scoreboard is looking still worse for the Brits. But looking at the bulls**tting scoreboard, they're definitely going for a world record.

Edited by L00b

It’s neither fair nor serious,” said Nicolas Hatton, the founder of the grassroots group the3million, which has been campaigning for the rights of those already settled in the UK ever since the referendum last year.

Sue Wilson a Briton who lives in Spain and who chairs the Bremain in Spain group said one of the main concerns was that the UK’s offer did not accept a role for the European court of justice, the ultimate legal arbiter of all legal disputes relating to the EU, including breaches of EU citizens’ rights across Europe.

It will remain the arbiter until Britain leaves the EU, but Downing Street does not accept it has a role in legacy issues after Brexit.

“Theresa May is acting as though she is making the first move, and we should all be impressed and grateful at her generosity.

“The offer already made by the EU was far more generous, for both EU and UK citizens living abroad,” said Wilson.

“Whilst we agree with Angela Merkel that this is a reasonable first step, May is going to have to compromise. She is not in the driving seat, and we are sick and tired of being used as bargaining chips.”

Britons in France also expressed their fears on Friday that May’s opening move could damage their position in Europe.

“We find it bizarre that she expects the EU to reciprocate to her offer which falls short of their own. Does she expect the EU to water down its offer to match hers?” said Dave Spokes, a spokesman for the group Expat Citizen Rights in EU.

Spokes added: “This is not a negotiation to get the lowest possible price. It is, or should be, a negotiation to gain the best support for real people - a country’s citizens.

“We are not surprised that Mr Juncker has described Theresa May’s offer on citizens rights as ‘not sufficient’.

“This reflects our own assessment. It seems a very odd strategy for the UK to offer less support for citizens than that being offered by the EU. Should they not be encouraging the EU to give more

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/23/eu-expats-condemn-theresa-may-pathetic-offer-on-brexit-rights

Edited by chalga