The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Guest sibon
Have you not heard about the DUP and Conservative agreement? The result of the vote is assured. I won't spoil your excitement by telling you the result.

This one is in the bag.

Fast forward a few weeks and the Tory/DUP MPs might be getting a bit sick of needing almost 100% attendance to make sure that they avoid an ambush. It isn't going to be much fun being a Tory MP this Parliament and they won't have much time to do those non exec directorship jobs either.

I suspect that the rest of the house will find it enjoyable though.

Tomorrow is going to be a big test of TM's new minority government.

The house will be voting on the government's entire legislative programme (Queen's Speech) so we'll soon find out if TM's minority govt is able to secure a majority vote in the HoC and therefore push forward with the job at hand.

Unsurprisingly Corbyn has already tabled an opposition motion which mainly focuses on opposing public pay caps. It appears to leave TM's Brexit plans largely unchallenged.

I wonder why? Perhaps he believes by isolating his opposition to a single issue (pay caps) he'll be able to garner greater support from other opposition parties like the SNP?

I cannot wait till tomorrow :D

The abstentions will be interesting.

Also the Conservatives have done better in Scotland than they have for many years.

As Theresa obvoiusly thinks it is perfectly acceptable to offer bribes for votes it is possible that the Scots Conservatives may wish to enhance their further chances of reselection by screwing ( sorry negotiating ) some monetary deal for Scotland.

We live in interesting times!

The abstentions will be interesting.

Also the Conservatives have done better in Scotland than they have for many years.

As Theresa obvoiusly thinks it is perfectly acceptable to offer bribes for votes it is possible that the Scots Conservatives may wish to enhance their further chances of reselection by screwing ( sorry negotiating ) some monetary deal for Scotland.

We live in interesting times!

The new Scottish Conservative MPs will do what the Whips tell them to do. They are happy just to be at Westminster. The potential Scottish Conservative troublemaker is not an MP at Westminster.

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 17:25 ----------

This one is in the bag.

Fast forward a few weeks and the Tory/DUP MPs might be getting a bit sick of needing almost 100% attendance to make sure that they avoid an ambush. It isn't going to be much fun being a Tory MP this Parliament and they won't have much time to do those non exec directorship jobs either.

I suspect that the rest of the house will find it enjoyable though.

I agree with your views.

Have you not heard about the DUP and Conservative agreement? The result of the vote is assured. I won't spoil your excitement by telling you the result.

Assuming full Tory-DUP cooperation on the Queen's Speech that only provides a majority of 13. That is by no means comfortable irrespective of who's in government.

I'm pretty sure the DUP will deliver on their new responsibilities. What the Tories need to be worried about are their euroskeptic backbenchers which might use this opportunity to rebel against the govt. They accuse TM of pursuing a "soft" Brexit that has been watered down.

Lets just hope the Tory Chief Whip has been sharpening his instruments :twisted:

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 18:15 ----------

This one is in the bag.

Fast forward a few weeks and the Tory/DUP MPs might be getting a bit sick of needing almost 100% attendance to make sure that they avoid an ambush.

I don't see this happening because the C&S agreement expires after 2 years, and crucially the DUP financial windfall for Northern Ireland is being drip-fed over that 2 year period. I can't see them doing anything to jeopardize that arrangement.

Guest sibon

I don't see this happening because the C&S agreement expires after 2 years, and crucially the DUP financial windfall for Northern Ireland is being drip-fed over that 2 year period. I can't see them doing anything to jeopardize that arrangement.

I think you misunderstand me. The Tory/DUP majority is water thin. If they aren't all available for every vote, they are vulnerable to an ambush from the rest of Parliament. So they are going to have to turn up to the house, lots.

Of course, given the factions within the Tory party, you shouldn't rule out a bit of complicity on their behalf, which will add even more spice to the mix.

Those of you who haven't seen small majority/ minority government in action are in for a treat.

The new Scottish Conservative MPs will do what the Whips tell them to do. They are happy just to be at Westminster. The potential Scottish Conservative troublemaker is not an MP at Westminster.

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 17:25 ----------

You know this how exactly?

The eventual outcome of the Brexit negotiations will have a major impact upon what happens in Scotland.

Most politicians tend to put their own self interest and ongoing survival ahead of party.

They then put party ahead of country, which is how we are where we are.

Now if Brexit is the complete debacle it looks as though it may be at present then there is every possibility that Scotland will vote for independence.

Should that happen then having gained a reputation for putting Scotland first the Scots MP's would still have a future.

Bear in mind that Jeremy Corbyn voted against his party over 500 times and wound up leading it and Dennis Skinner has always been a pain in the nether regions to his own party but is still there.

The Conservatives would not deselect their Scots MP's if they could see that they have retained respect in Scotland and would return Tory seats in a future election.

Win Win for Scots Tories, they'll vote with the whip only when it suits them.

This time probably yes, next time, if it suits.

Fresh off the press is that Corbyn's attempt to amend the Queen's Speech has failed. Labour were defeated by a majority of 14.

This means that tomorrow's vote will be based on the unamended (original) version of the Queen's Speech.

You know this how exactly?

The eventual outcome of the Brexit negotiations will have a major impact upon what happens in Scotland.

Most politicians tend to put their own self interest and ongoing survival ahead of party.

They then put party ahead of country, which is how we are where we are.

Now if Brexit is the complete debacle it looks as though it may be at present then there is every possibility that Scotland will vote for independence.

Should that happen then having gained a reputation for putting Scotland first the Scots MP's would still have a future.

Bear in mind that Jeremy Corbyn voted against his party over 500 times and wound up leading it and Dennis Skinner has always been a pain in the nether regions to his own party but is still there.

The Conservatives would not deselect their Scots MP's if they could see that they have retained respect in Scotland and would return Tory seats in a future election.

Win Win for Scots Tories, they'll vote with the whip only when it suits them.

This time probably yes, next time, if it suits.

I know because I am a lot smarter than you. As I stated earlier, Mrs May wanted a bigger majority to fend off the trouble making Tories MP already there before the election. Mrs May hoped new blood would mean she didn't have to listen to the troublemakers. The Scottish Conservative MPs are the only new blood and will not cause her any problems, because as I have already stated they are just happy to be in Westminster at the moment and don't have safe seats like Corbyn and Skinner have enjoyed over many years.

I think you are over thinking the Scottish situation.

I know because I am a lot smarter than you. As I stated earlier, Mrs May wanted a bigger majority to fend off the trouble making Tories MP already there before the election. Mrs May hoped new blood would mean she didn't have to listen to the troublemakers. The Scottish Conservative MPs are the only new blood and will not cause her any problems, because as I have already stated they are just happy to be in Westminster at the moment and don't have safe seats like Corbyn and Skinner have enjoyed over many years.

I think you are over thinking the Scottish situation.

Is that you Donald?

A sure way of knowing that someone isn't very bright is when they feel the need to tell you how smart they are. :D

So you know the thoughts of 12 individuals each of whom will have their own agendas better than they do?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiPyaHKmeHUAhUpDsAKHU_7D1IQFghRMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstatesman.com%2Fpolitics%2Fjune2017%2F2017%2F06%2Fscottish-tories-are-coming-how-12-new-mps-can-change-conservative-party&usg=AFQjCNFsi3YKOMt_RurcPDx7og4ECFuiDQ

I think you aren't thinking full stop.