The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

OK, now tell me how I have been financially hit?

I didn't state it was soaring as that is just exaggeration and something you put.

Official figures show wages fell in real terms by 0.4% in the year to April 2017.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said this was the first fall in three years.

It says that although wages rose by 2.2% in the year, inflation rose by more, eroding any gains. The median - middle - amount earned was £550 a week.

Many are doing quite well out of it. The fall in the pound means their stocks and shares are worth more - which counteracts more expensive imports. Few of the working class have benefited from that.

Meanwhile, back in glorious world of brexit that's going to be so good for the working class: Toyota seeks clarity over Brexit ‘fog’ amid fears over Derbyshire plant.

It's not looking good for the car industry. Partly that's because it's been experiencing a bubble, fueled by a lot of unsustainable credit, and the market is now shrinking. But it's also spooked by Brexit. And I notice the UK construction industry is now officially in recession. Osborne's 'recovery' is starting to showing its true face.

Edited by Bob Arctor

OK, now tell me how I have been financially hit?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/3898165/shoppers-forced-to-spend-extra-133-a-year-on-their-groceries-as-prices-rise-after-brexit/

I didn't state it was soaring as that is just exaggeration and something you put.

It was the title of the article to which you linked.

Edited by Magilla

This thread is used as a battleground for those who are entrenched in their respective ideologies.

It would be nice if it was used for understanding but I don't think there's much appetite for it. Everyone is too busy slingshotting facts & figures to the other side in the hope of "winning" the battle.

Very true. I stopped posting after the first Brexit post in the very first pages. I stated my view for voting the way I did, nothing has changed and I don't see the point in trying to change anyone's point of view.

I do like to pop in now and again and see the same old names batting the same facts and figures backwards and forwards gleaned from any source they can in order to counter someone else's point of view.

As you say, they are to entrenched to change and move on.

Rightly or wrongly it's happened let's pull together and get on with it.

The fall in sterling cost me big time on stuff I import in. The drop was huge.

And others are being affected too, UK spending is lower, so tax receipts will be lower, that will affect us all.

Probably why the Tories are struggling to decrease the countries debt, so austerity carries on, for years to come.

Very true. I stopped posting after the first Brexit post in the very first pages. I stated my view for voting the way I did, nothing has changed and I don't see the point in trying to change anyone's point of view.

I do like to pop in now and again and see the same old names batting the same facts and figures backwards and forwards gleaned from any source they can in order to counter someone else's point of view.

As you say, they are to entrenched to change and move on.

How does everyone 'pull together and get on with it', what are the practical steps to do that?

I see your point and I agree, this sentence however - what are we getting on with? That is exactly why the too-ing and fro-ing is happening. With hindsight the referendum was so unclear it is pathetic, mainly due to the incompetent campaigning on both sides, but also because nobody really knew or knows what is to be the outcome.

It is very hard to convince people who didn't want the change in the first place to get on with things if you can't explain what it is we are supposed to be getting on with. That is why discussions and threads like this do serve a purpose.

Wow a whopping 3.5% increase in Tesco, a place where I do not shop. I don't buy butter or fish, although it seems fish prices are high partly due to farmed Salmon supply issues, and I hardly drink coffee. All people have to do to get round any rises is shop wisely and compare prices so its all still a bit of hype. Maybe some should cut down on the bags of crisps and biscuits they buy as it will offset any rises and probably save some money as well.

Actually just to add, I have stated many times before that I think food prices are too low and maybe a rise is not such a bad thing.

I know some people who complain about the rising cost of food and yet is happy to spend £40+ on a Sunday lunch because they cant be bothered to cook at the weekend. As you can see it is all relative, and as stated tell me how I have been financially hit?

---------- Post added 26-10-2017 at 19:09 ----------

It was the title of the article to which you linked.

Ah, I see.. ;)

Edited by apelike