The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

One of the ironic things about all this is that over the years Eurosceptic Britain had been one of, if not THE most compliant of the member states when it comes to adherence of rules and directives from the EU, whereas the French for instance, the people that is, seemed to forever be sticking their fingers up to the EU, forever protesting about this and that.

No reason why they couldn't have voted in large enough umbers for Le Pen to sort that out.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 11:46 ----------

With all the support that he has, he has never been elected as an MP, because our electoral system discriminates against smaller parties.

No,he didn't get enough people to vote for him.

One of the ironic things about all this is that over the years Eurosceptic Britain had been one of, if not THE most compliant of the member states when it comes to adherence of rules and directives from the EU, whereas the French for instance, the people that is, seemed to forever be sticking their fingers up to the EU, forever protesting about this and that.

That isn't completely accurate - the UK has, for years, implemented harsher/more free market focused regulation than required by the EU whilst telling the British that it was because of the EU.

A simple example is that of the railways - the EU never stated that the government could not own part of the railways, just that it should not be run by the government. Rather than follow a path like Germany, the Netherlands, France and so on, the government told baffled British voters that the EU demanded a complete marketisation of the railways and it wasn't their fault. It was.

The same with emissions regulations, the UK wanted to be the best kid in the class so slapped big taxes on energy and is now blaming the EU for a malfunctioning energy market.

These things have always happened and will always happen, the only difference now is that the UK can't blame the EU any more. Dear lord, the national politicians might even have to be held accountable for their decisions.

No as I have already checked on the cost and as far as I can tell I have not paid more for the normal produce I buy, in fact the bacon I normally buy has actually gone down in price. The vegetables I buy are mainly from the UK, I rarely eat fruit so that takes out EU priced sources and I buy the cheapest milk. BTW I also plan meals, cook my own food and I brew my own beer and wine. I don't throw away or waste food and I buy cut priced items with a short expiry date. My actual budget for food for the week is less than £20.

So out of that whopping 3.5% increase exactly what have I paid more for? and again how have I been financially hit? You could argue that if I shopped at Tesco then I would have paid 0.70p more but as I dont then you would be wrong.

You're seriously arguing that you, for some unknown reason, are completely insulated from inflation as a result of the Brexit vote?

You're having a laugh.

Next you'll be telling me you don't go out, have a car, use any public transport or heat your home.

We elected Nigel didn't we?

With all the support that he has, he has never been elected as an MP, because our electoral system discriminates against smaller parties.

yes, it was entirely the fault of our electoral system that Sir Nige’ was never made an MP :nod:

Definitely so :nod: :nod:

I don’t think people really want to be dragged down to enforced frugal living. They won’t accept it. What makes you think they will?

Who said people should do the above cos it was not me, so dont try and make out it was.

Again we seem to be returning to this theme of punishing middle class people for doing well. You’ve got to be very careful with that. Extremely careful and should be mindful that hollowing out of the middle class is a key neoliberal goal.

Again who said anything about punishing middle class people, whoever they are. Its you that is making that connection not me.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 13:29 ----------

I thought Brexit was supposed to change all that?

Then you thought wrong.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 13:42 ----------

errrm yeah cos it was the EU that caused all that?

Who mentioned anything about the cause being the EU?

it wasnt greedy bankers,

Oh yes it was, their deregulation gave them the ability to do hedge fund trading with derivatives and when that all collapsed they stopped lending to each other. That was the main cause of the US banking system financial collapse and cause the subsequent worldwide recession.

:roll:

Edited by apelike

yes, it was entirely the fault of our electoral system that Sir Nige’ was never made an MP :nod:

Definitely so :nod: :nod:

Had he been elected, issues could have been addresses earlier.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 13:55 ----------

The latest figures show that full time employment in the United Kingdom decreased to 23557 thousand in July from 23596 thousand in June of 2017.

Not a good sign for anyone. But the BBC are still pumping out positive news about low unemployment.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/full-time-employment

Who said people should do the above cos it was not me, so dont try and make out it was.

Again who said anything about punishing middle class people, whoever they are. Its you that is making that connection not me.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 13:29 ----------

Then you thought wrong.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 13:42 ----------

Who mentioned anything about the cause being the EU?

Oh yes it was, their deregulation gave them the ability to do hedge fund trading with derivatives and when that all collapsed they stopped lending to each other. That was the main cause of the US banking system financial collapse and cause the subsequent worldwide recession.

:roll:

There you have it then,no golden unicorns,in fact,no unicorns of any colour.:hihi:

These things have always happened and will always happen, the only difference now is that the UK can't blame the EU any more. Dear lord, the national politicians might even have to be held accountable for their decisions.

I agree, as they should and will be.